Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body (Relative Motion Analysis using Rotating Axes)

In summary, the speaker thanks those who respond to their question and explains that they have attempted to solve the problem using various methods, but are unsure if their solution is incorrect. They mention calculating the angular velocity and differentiating it to check the angular acceleration, but found that the values do not match. They also state that they need to derive equations before using computational software.
parabolic
Let me start by saying thank you to any responses I receive. I understand the methods for solving this problem but I have concluded that either part or all of my solution is incorrect.

After solving for the angular velocity, I differentiated my answer in order to check the angular acceleration. I then calculated the values of my solution and the derived solution from the velocity for some sample values of theta... They don't match. So either both my ang velocity AND my ang acceleration are incorrect.. Or only my acceleration is incorrect.

The problem statement says to use computational software, but I must first derive the equations..

*EDIT* I have converted all inches into feet

Thanks again

Homework Statement

problem.jpg

axis.jpg

Homework Equations

Due to limitations in posting methods, I have attached a pdf with my relevant equations and an attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to limitations in posting methods, I have attached a pdf with my relevant equations and an attempt at a solution.

Attachments

• RelevantEquations.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Bueller?

Thank you for sharing your work and equations. It is always important to check and verify your solutions, especially when using computational software. There are a few possible reasons why your solutions may not match:

1. Error in calculations: It is possible that there may be an error in your calculations, leading to incorrect values for angular velocity and acceleration. Double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units and conversions.

2. Error in assumptions: It is important to make sure that your assumptions are valid for the problem at hand. For example, if the problem involves a rigid body, make sure that you are not assuming any deformations or changes in shape.

3. Error in equations: It is possible that there may be a mistake in one of your equations. Make sure that you are using the correct equations for the problem and that you are applying them correctly.

4. Error in software: If you are using computational software, it is possible that there may be a bug or error in the program. Double check your inputs and make sure you are using the correct settings.

To identify the source of the discrepancy, you can try to solve the problem using a different method or approach. This can help you to verify your results and determine where the error may be coming from. Additionally, you can also consult with your instructor or classmates for assistance and feedback on your solution.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly check and verify your solutions to ensure accuracy and understanding of the problem. Good luck with your future studies in planar kinematics of rigid bodies!

1. What is the definition of Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body?

Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body is the study of the motion of a rigid body in a 2-dimensional plane, where all points of the body move in parallel planes and the distance between any two points remains constant.

2. What is Relative Motion Analysis using Rotating Axes?

Relative Motion Analysis using Rotating Axes is a method used to analyze the motion of one rigid body relative to another, where the orientation of the coordinate axes is constantly changing in order to describe the motion more accurately.

3. What are the key principles of Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body?

The key principles of Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body include the conservation of linear and angular momentum, the use of vector algebra and calculus, and the concept of relative motion analysis.

4. How is Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body applied in real-world situations?

Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body has many practical applications, such as in the design of mechanical systems, robotics, and motion control. It is also used in the analysis of sports movements, such as in golf swings or tennis serves.

5. What are some common challenges in understanding Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body?

Some common challenges in understanding Planar Kinematics of a Rigid Body include visualizing and interpreting 2-dimensional motion, understanding vector algebra and calculus, and applying the concepts to real-world scenarios with multiple moving bodies.