Laser: CW-oscillation in a 3-level laser

by Niles
Tags: 3level, cwoscillation, laser
Share this thread:
Niles
Dec28-09, 10:20 AM
P: 1,863
Hi

At continuous-wave oscillation the gain is equal to the threshold gain, i.e. g = gthreshold. Now in my book, I have the following expression for the steady-state population-inversion for a three-level laser

N2, steady state - N1, steady state = (P-Γ12)/(P+Γ12)NT

where NT=N1, steady state+N2, steady state, P is the pump rate and Γ12 is the rate at which level 2 decays into level 1. Now my question is: If at CW-oscillation g=gt, then why is it that we can change N2, steady state - N1, steady state (and thereby the gain) in a three-level laser at steady-state? Isn't this a contradiction?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Organic photovoltaic cells of the future: Charge formation efficiency used to screen materials
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials
Cthugha
Dec28-09, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,641
What happens if you increase the pumping power further after laser oscillation sets in, is called gain clamping or upper population clamping. Any atoms you pump into the upper level will be almost immediately converted into laser light as fast as you pump them up (well - on statistical average, of course not necessarily the same atoms you just pumped up). Therefore the decay rate will also momentarily increase. If you do not increase the pump power constantly but just add short pulses of high pump power, you might also see the population numbers and the intracavity photon number undergo relaxation oscillations according to the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

Register to reply