Aurora borealis over India is it possible?

In summary: Some people believe that HAARP is the source of this aurora, though I'm not so sure.In summary, some people believe that the USA caused the 2004 tsunami by launching a missile in Alaska, and that the recent earthquake in Haiti was also caused by HAARP.
Cowtipper
I read on another forum that during or after the huge tsunami that hit in 2004, that supposedly aurora borealis was spotted in the skies over India. The poster said that this is an impossibility, and that is proves that the United States is the cause behind the tsunami, and that it was created by the HARRP program in Alaska.

I do not believe that one bit. However, is aurora borealis possible over India? Why do some people think HARRP is behind the tsunami (and now, the earthquake in Haiti)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cowtipper said:
I read on another forum that during or after the huge tsunami that hit in 2004, that supposedly aurora borealis was spotted in the skies over India.
Unlikely, India is quite a long way south and quite a long way from the magnetic pole.
Plus there is no link between a tsunami and the aurora.

Why do some people think HARRP is behind the tsunami (and now, the earthquake in Haiti)?
Cos the tsunami is bad and the USA is bad therefore the USA causes the tsunami - m'kay.

It would be considered Aurora Australis because it is in the southern hemisphere.

Speaking of the HAARP program, the Pakistani news website reported that the HAARP program caused a hole in the atmosphere above finland and was letting the exosphere inside or something of the sort and is causing the world to go haywire. Crazy Pakistanis!

MotoH said:
It would be considered Aurora Australis because it is in the southern hemisphere.
South?

India is not far enough North to observe even a really high energy burst hit the magnetosphere. I've seen it here at 43degN once or twice in my life.

blkqi said:
South?

India is not far enough North to observe even a really high energy burst hit the magnetosphere

shyte, moved the equator up 1 line. My mistake!

Aurora Australis isn't anything like as visible - not helped by the fact that there aren't many people at many high southern latitudes.

You can see the northern aurora at lower latitudes in the USA and Canada because of the position of the magnetic north pole - but at the longitude of India you would have to be a lot further north.

I've seen some interesting, high altitude phosphorescent lights in the sky at 34 degrees North latitude in the evening after sunset. They were a result of rocket exhaust from strategic missile tests and sunlight still passing through the upper atmosphere (apparently), like this:
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/42580/2561248520104237032S600x600Q85.jpg

Stranger is the recent show in Norway:
http://justgetthere.us/blog/uploads/norway-bluelight.jpg
(Is this bogus?)

I believe the Finnish picture was just brought out as a Russian missile test. You can definitely see the similarities between the two pictures, especially in the spin of the exhaust.

1. Can Aurora Borealis occur over India?

Yes, it is possible for Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights, to occur over India. However, it is a rare occurrence and requires certain conditions to be met.

2. What are the conditions necessary for Aurora Borealis to occur over India?

The main condition for Aurora Borealis to occur is a strong and active geomagnetic storm. This is caused by a disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field due to strong solar winds from the sun. The storm must also reach the equator, which is the reason why it is rare for Aurora Borealis to be visible in India.

3. Which parts of India are most likely to see Aurora Borealis?

The northern parts of India, such as Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh, are more likely to see Aurora Borealis due to their proximity to the magnetic pole. However, the visibility also depends on the strength of the geomagnetic storm and the amount of light pollution in the area.

4. When is the best time to see Aurora Borealis over India?

The best time to see Aurora Borealis over India is during the winter months, from late September to early March. This is because the nights are longer and there is less light pollution, making the auroras more visible.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the visibility of Aurora Borealis over India?

Yes, weather conditions such as cloud cover and the amount of solar activity can also affect the visibility of Aurora Borealis over India. It is important to check the aurora forecast and weather conditions before attempting to see the Northern Lights.