Cleaning mustard from steel

by mwood
Tags: cleaning, mustard, steel
Share this thread:
mwood
Jan18-10, 09:32 AM
P: 1
Hello;

I have a strange practical issue. I picked up a steel barrel which was used to store dijon mustard. I intend to use the steel to fashion a hood for a small rivet forge. But, although the barrel has been cleaned, it still has a very strong smell.

My question is: how can the mustard smell be neutralized? and, what would be the best way to prepare the steel?

Googling the subject did not produce much, I did run across a home remedy site which suggested liquid glycerin for removing mustard stains from clothes. So I wonder if cleaning with glycerin and coating with stove black would make sense?

Thanks
Mike
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
Borek
Jan18-10, 09:59 AM
Admin
P: 23,600
Bleach perhaps? But it can corrode the steel, so be careful.
chemisttree
Jan25-10, 12:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Is that smell something like vinegar? Mustard by itself has almost no odor. Try a throrough wash/scrub with a bicarb solution.

Phrak
Jan25-10, 12:12 AM
P: 4,512
Cleaning mustard from steel

Put an opened box of baking soda in it. :)

Register to reply