Cleaning mustard from steel

by mwood
Tags: cleaning, mustard, steel
Share this thread:
mwood
Jan18-10, 09:32 AM
P: 1
Hello;

I have a strange practical issue. I picked up a steel barrel which was used to store dijon mustard. I intend to use the steel to fashion a hood for a small rivet forge. But, although the barrel has been cleaned, it still has a very strong smell.

My question is: how can the mustard smell be neutralized? and, what would be the best way to prepare the steel?

Googling the subject did not produce much, I did run across a home remedy site which suggested liquid glycerin for removing mustard stains from clothes. So I wonder if cleaning with glycerin and coating with stove black would make sense?

Thanks
Mike
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chinese scientists use laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy to identify toxic cooking 'gutter oil'
New insights into 'switchable water' have implications for water purification and desalination
A glucose meter of a different color provides continuous monitoring
Borek
Jan18-10, 09:59 AM
Admin
P: 23,567
Bleach perhaps? But it can corrode the steel, so be careful.
chemisttree
Jan25-10, 12:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Is that smell something like vinegar? Mustard by itself has almost no odor. Try a throrough wash/scrub with a bicarb solution.

Phrak
Jan25-10, 12:12 AM
P: 4,512
Cleaning mustard from steel

Put an opened box of baking soda in it. :)

Register to reply