Removing Mustard Odor from Steel: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation discussed a practical issue involving the strong smell of dijon mustard on a steel barrel. The question was raised on how to neutralize the smell and prepare the steel for use in a small rivet forge. Suggestions were made to use liquid glycerin and stove black, as well as bleach or baking soda. It was also noted that mustard itself has a very mild odor.
mwood
Hello;

I have a strange practical issue. I picked up a steel barrel which was used to store dijon mustard. I intend to use the steel to fashion a hood for a small rivet forge. But, although the barrel has been cleaned, it still has a very strong smell.

My question is: how can the mustard smell be neutralized? and, what would be the best way to prepare the steel?

Googling the subject did not produce much, I did run across a home remedy site which suggested liquid glycerin for removing mustard stains from clothes. So I wonder if cleaning with glycerin and coating with stove black would make sense?

Thanks
Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bleach perhaps? But it can corrode the steel, so be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that smell something like vinegar? Mustard by itself has almost no odor. Try a throrough wash/scrub with a bicarb solution.

Put an opened box of baking soda in it. :)

1. How do I clean mustard from steel without damaging it?

To clean mustard from steel, mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the affected area and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, use a soft cloth or sponge to gently scrub the mustard stains. Rinse with water and dry with a clean towel. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbing too hard, as this can damage the steel surface.

2. Can I use lemon juice to remove mustard stains from steel?

Yes, lemon juice can be effective in removing mustard stains from steel. Cut a lemon in half and rub the cut side onto the stain. The citric acid in the lemon will help break down the stain. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth.

3. What if the mustard has been on the steel surface for a long time?

If the mustard stain has been on the steel surface for a long time, it may be more difficult to remove. In this case, you may need to use a stronger cleaner such as a mild dish soap or a specialized stainless steel cleaner. Follow the instructions on the cleaner and be sure to rinse and dry the surface thoroughly after cleaning.

4. Can I use a steel wool pad to clean mustard from steel?

No, steel wool pads should not be used on steel surfaces as they can cause scratches and damage the surface. Instead, use a soft cloth or sponge to gently scrub the mustard stains.

5. How can I prevent mustard stains on my steel surfaces?

To prevent mustard stains on steel surfaces, it is important to clean up any spills or splatters as soon as possible. Wipe the surface with a damp cloth and dry with a clean towel. You can also apply a small amount of mineral oil to the surface to create a barrier and make it easier to clean any future stains.

Back