Which Cuny for math?

by mathematicsma
Tags: cuny, math
mathematicsma
Jan18-10, 09:33 PM
P: 14
I am looking for a math department that offers industry career oriented, applied math and statistics. I want a solid background in case I need graduate school. I am looking to transfer, in case that makes a difference. Thanks.

How much does undergrad degree matter for getting in to a decent master's program?

And how important is an REU?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
story645
Jan18-10, 11:39 PM
P: 670
Quote Quote by mathematicsma View Post
I am looking for a math department that offers industry career oriented, applied math and statistics.
Hunter (as told to me by a friend doing applied math in the CUNY system), though courses at the other CUNYs will probably transfer, so look at some of the Baruch courses too, as the schools are relatively close to each other.

How much does undergrad degree matter for getting in to a decent master's program?
You need one, and it often needs to be in a related subject. Where you do your undergrad sort of matters (the school needs a reputation of sorts), but it's not massively important.

And how important is an REU?
It's just one of the easiest ways to get solid research at a school with a decent program in your field. The research is what matters most.

Register to reply