Choice of Master's degree program, Physics vs. Applied Math

In summary, this person wants to pursue a research physicist career but was not a stellar undergraduate student and will have to self-fund their masters degree. They are considering going to a decently-ranked state school to pursue this and found out they can take courses as a non-enrolled student in the applied mathematics program. They have pros and cons of doing this program. The pros are that they are interested in applied math and that the school has several physics Phds on its math faculty. The cons are that they are not sure how much value-added this will be and that they will not be able to do experimental work as a math student. They are considering whether to stay in engineering or pursue a research physicist career in mathematics.
obstinatus
Hi All,

I finished my BS in physics last year and currently work full-time in engineering. I want to pursue my dream of being a research physicist, but I wasn't a stellar undergraduate student, so I'll have to be a self-funded, part-time masters student at first, and I chose to live near the campus of a decently-ranked state school to accomplish this, and I plan to take 1-3 courses this fall as a non-enrolled student to make sure this is the path I want to take. However, I've just discovered that the physics program doesn't offer evening courses, but the applied mathematics program does. My pros & cons of doing the mathematics program are as follows:

Pros:
-I did a senior capstone project on numerical simulations of the heat & laplace equations, which is very much in line with applied math, and enjoyed it.
-I'm also very interested in classical mechanics, fluid dynamics, hydrology, etc. which a math program might give me the flexibility to pursue.
-The school's graduate offerings in general are oriented towards working engineers, so I would potentially have institutional support in that way.
-There are several physics Phds on the school's math faculty.
-The philosophical questions around the relationship between math & physics and the degree to which models correspond to the world are very interesting.
-In my career so far I've been very adept as 'selling myself' and my skills despite lacking a lot of experience & credentials, so the generality of math would add to that.

Cons:
-When I do apply to physics Phd programs down the road, I'm not sure how much value-added this will be; why would they pick the applied math MS over a physics or even EE MS?
-I didn't have many opportunities to do experimental work in undergrad, and it's possible I would like it, but as a math student that possibility will be foreclosed on.
-Something that attracted me to physics originally was the ability to use approximate solutions/ guesses to achieve results that resemble reality (and the fact that rootedness in experiment/ observation allows this), where mathematics is much more rigorous and abstract. Maybe the applied/engineering orientation of this particular program would obviate this concern.

All of this is based on my own speculations, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed more light

Physics news on Phys.org
what sort of full time engineering job do you have? You might be better off staying in engineering. Please explain why you want to leave engineering besides fulfilling your dream . Your dream might become true, or perhaps never become true.

obstinatus said:
1-3 courses this fall as a non-enrolled student

And work as an engineer full time... when will you sleep and get your real work done. Think about 1 course at the most and as a newly hired (i suspect) you'll be spending more time at your paying job to learn that than you think.

1. What is the main difference between a Master's degree in Physics and Applied Math?

The main difference between a Master's degree in Physics and Applied Math is the focus of the curriculum. A Master's degree in Physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the laws of the universe, while a Master's degree in Applied Math focuses on the application of mathematical principles to real-world problems.

2. Which degree would be better for a career in research?

Both a Master's degree in Physics and Applied Math can lead to a career in research. However, a Master's degree in Physics may be more suitable for research in theoretical physics, while a Master's degree in Applied Math may be more suitable for research in applied mathematics, such as statistics or engineering.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for each degree program?

The specific prerequisites for each degree program may vary depending on the university or program. Generally, a strong background in mathematics and physics is required for both degrees. Some programs may also require coursework in computer science or engineering for an Applied Math degree.

4. Can I switch from one program to the other during my Master's degree?

It is possible to switch from one program to the other during your Master's degree, but it may depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university or program. Some universities may allow you to switch with minimal difficulty, while others may require you to complete additional coursework or meet certain criteria.

5. Which degree would be better for pursuing a career in teaching?

Both a Master's degree in Physics and Applied Math can lead to a career in teaching. However, a Master's degree in Physics may be more suitable for teaching at the university level, while a Master's degree in Applied Math may be more suitable for teaching at the high school or community college level.