Length Contraction Documentary

In summary: Campbell has a great program that covers a lot of relativity in a short amount of time. It's called "The Lorentz Transformation Survival Guide." It's a great program for someone just getting started with relativity. In summary, it would be helpful to see videos that explain or prove that length contraction is possible even if it is just the visual interpretation of an observer. Please provide more videos in this series that are specifically related to this topic. Additionally, it would be helpful to see videos that explain the connection between time dilation and length contraction. Additionally, it would be helpful to see videos that explain the derivation of the Lorentz transformation equation. Lastly, it would be helpful to see videos that illustrate length contraction in different perspectives.
neilabuel
I need help with length contraction.
I need videos that explains or proves that length contraction is possible even if it is just the visual interpretation of an observer.
pls help.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6328514962912264988# video was recently posted in another thread. I have only seen a few seconds, but it appears to be what you need. There's some stuff about Lorentz contraction in it. Note that it's part of a series of videos. You might want to check out the others too.

Last edited by a moderator:
neilabuel said:
I need videos that explains or proves that length contraction is possible

Fredrik has helped with this.
neilabuel said:
even if it is just the visual interpretation of an observer.
pls help.

For an explanation of what an observer actually sees (a Terrell-Penrose rotation), read

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2320863#post2320863.

For images of what an observer sees, click on the two links given by A.T. in post #3 in the same thread.

wow, thank you, who is Fredrik? could you please post the link here?

See post #2 in this thread. The very first word is a link. :smile:

thank you everyone,

not being so demanding, could you please post more links here, i need them badly.

please.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from posting more links to videos, but I don't think more of the same is what you need. You should probably just watch a video or two in that series and then ask questions here about specific details that you found hard to understand.

Fredrik said:
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from posting more links to videos, but I don't think more of the same is what you need. You should probably just watch a video or two in that series and then ask questions here about specific details that you found hard to understand.

but, I'm actually looking for videos that i could use for the documentary that i will be making,
it will serve like a proof for the occurrence of length contraction.

Fredrik said:

i have seen these but i think it's not that related to length contraction, the video is about time dilation.

Fredrik said:

another familiar video, it's about simultaneity, and has almost no connection to length contraction,

Fredrik said:

this video is really a great help, it explains the connection between time dilation and length contraction. It's about the way they measure the length, right? if your clock ticks more slowly than that of the stationary observer, then, at a constant relativistic velocity, you cover a greater distance in a smaller period of time.

Fredrik said:

this explains how the world will look like when you travel at a velocity near the speed of light, it doesn't actually explains how time dilation happens.

Fredrik, thanks for these videos, but most of these are not the ones that I'm looking for, do you have a video wherein there is an interview of a physics professor or a lecture from a university?
thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
excuse me, i need more help.
i don't know how to start the documentary.
but i actually thought of something.

i'll start with the introduction,
then after that, i'll be explaining length contraction even more
then, i'll show how the formula was derived
then, show length contraction in different perspectives
then, train paradox
then, the possibility of length contraction.

is this ok already?
please reply right away.
tnx.

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon described by Einstein's theory of relativity, where an object appears to be shorter in the direction of its motion when observed from a different frame of reference. This is due to the distortion of space and time caused by the object's high velocity.

2. How does length contraction affect our daily lives?

Length contraction only becomes noticeable at very high speeds, so it does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the accuracy of GPS technology.

3. Is length contraction a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction has been experimentally verified and is an important concept in modern physics. It has been observed in various experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and measurements of the lifetimes of subatomic particles.

4. Can length contraction be explained in simple terms?

Length contraction can be thought of as a consequence of the relativity of simultaneity, where different observers will measure different lengths for an object due to their relative motion. It can also be understood through the concept of spacetime curvature, where an object's motion causes a distortion in the fabric of space and time.

5. What are the implications of length contraction for space travel?

Length contraction has significant implications for space travel, as it means that objects will appear shorter in the direction of their motion when traveling at high speeds. This can affect the design and functioning of spacecraft, as well as the perception of time and distance for astronauts on long journeys.