(cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing...

by rhody
Tags: file sharing, posting files
rhody
Jan22-10, 04:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I hope this post goes here, if not I apologize, admin's feel free to move it if needed.

I need a place to store files listed in the title above where I can get link(s) for posting to forums, share with friends, etc... I use tinypic for posting pictures, and that works fine, but I need a place to share document files

I have looked into the new Google share feature (through gmail) that allows this and prefer to stay away from this method.

I did a fairly thorough search before posting this, both here and through google.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rhody...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
mgb_phys
Jan22-10, 04:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.
rhody
Feb20-10, 10:34 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.
Dear mgb_phys,

Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, from another unrelated post here on PF I ran across this: 2shared and the site appears to allow uploads of doc, excel, pdf files that I wanted.

What you you think ?

Rhody...

rhody
Feb24-10, 06:35 PM
PF Gold

(cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing...

I tried www.2shared.com and it appears to work as advertised, allows you to upload all the file types I need (listed in title above), provides a secure link to download, password, protection, and the ability to delete the uploaded file if you so desire. You can add a comment, and publisher's name or email.

It is a little clunky to use, but will allow users to attach documents to posts much larger than are allowed on the PF forum.

You need to keep a copy of the download and admin links safe somewhere for future reference as ease of finding the file(s) you uploaded.

I recently posted two .pdf files in a thread because they exceeded the maximum size limit, so this will help in the future. Try it and see if it works for you

Rhody...
dE_logics
Feb25-10, 11:34 PM
P: 730
http://www.webasyst.net/

Though the capacity is very limited, it has VERY long host time. i.e the link wont expire.
mmbaskr
Jan9-12, 12:46 PM
P: 1
I just tried Webasyst... simple awesome.. have all the features which I was missing in dropbox and box including customizing the links.

The drawbacks were: only 100 mb of space. Larger links. But I'm happy with it :)
Greg Bernhardt
Jan9-12, 01:05 PM
Admin
P: 8,531
I've used DropBox before it's pretty easy. I know there was some security problems in the past though.

Register to reply