(cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing...

by rhody
Tags: file sharing, posting files
rhody
Jan22-10, 04:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I hope this post goes here, if not I apologize, admin's feel free to move it if needed.

I need a place to store files listed in the title above where I can get link(s) for posting to forums, share with friends, etc... I use tinypic for posting pictures, and that works fine, but I need a place to share document files

I have looked into the new Google share feature (through gmail) that allows this and prefer to stay away from this method.

I did a fairly thorough search before posting this, both here and through google.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rhody...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
mgb_phys
Jan22-10, 04:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.
rhody
Feb20-10, 10:34 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.
Dear mgb_phys,

Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, from another unrelated post here on PF I ran across this: 2shared and the site appears to allow uploads of doc, excel, pdf files that I wanted.

What you you think ?

Rhody...

rhody
Feb24-10, 06:35 PM
PF Gold

(cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing...

I tried www.2shared.com and it appears to work as advertised, allows you to upload all the file types I need (listed in title above), provides a secure link to download, password, protection, and the ability to delete the uploaded file if you so desire. You can add a comment, and publisher's name or email.

It is a little clunky to use, but will allow users to attach documents to posts much larger than are allowed on the PF forum.

You need to keep a copy of the download and admin links safe somewhere for future reference as ease of finding the file(s) you uploaded.

I recently posted two .pdf files in a thread because they exceeded the maximum size limit, so this will help in the future. Try it and see if it works for you

Rhody...
dE_logics
Feb25-10, 11:34 PM
P: 730
http://www.webasyst.net/

Though the capacity is very limited, it has VERY long host time. i.e the link wont expire.
mmbaskr
Jan9-12, 12:46 PM
P: 1
I just tried Webasyst... simple awesome.. have all the features which I was missing in dropbox and box including customizing the links.

The drawbacks were: only 100 mb of space. Larger links. But I'm happy with it :)
Greg Bernhardt
Jan9-12, 01:05 PM
Admin
P: 8,542
I've used DropBox before it's pretty easy. I know there was some security problems in the past though.

Register to reply