Register to reply

What is the relation between gravity and light?

by phy_freak
Tags: gravity, light, relation
Share this thread:
phy_freak
Feb8-10, 02:51 PM
P: 32
why did they have to be the same speed? do you think that this speed was somehow set as a standard speed for such things, i don't know maybe there are other things that are also in the speed of light.. so the speed of light isn't so rare..
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
Chronos
Feb9-10, 01:05 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
GR sets a universal speed limit on 'communication' between objects in the universe. That limit happens to be the speed of light.
S.Vasojevic
Feb9-10, 12:07 PM
P: 173
Quote Quote by phy_freak View Post
why did they have to be the same speed? do you think that this speed was somehow set as a standard speed for such things, i don't know maybe there are other things that are also in the speed of light.. so the speed of light isn't so rare..
Hipothetical particle responsible for carrying gravity is massless boson called graviton. Massless particles propagate at speed of light.

If graviton is never confirmed to be real, then your question - why gravity propagates at speed of light - is very good question. Simply stating that GR forbids FTL communication, doesn't explain anything, because question is why speed of gravity propagation is exactly same as the speed of light propagation, not why gravity is not faster then light.

Matterwave
Feb9-10, 03:43 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,660
What is the relation between gravity and light?

I think the "speed of gravity" can be worked out using GR...and it turns out to be c...but I've no idea how. :P
Nabeshin
Feb10-10, 12:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Quote Quote by Matterwave View Post
I think the "speed of gravity" can be worked out using GR...and it turns out to be c...but I've no idea how. :P
Related thread:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=369420

Edit: Also, on the grounds of dimensional analysis, we expect to get c. The only other really conceivable option would be for gravity to propagate instantaneously.
Ich
Feb10-10, 02:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,886
If graviton is never confirmed to be real, then your question - why gravity propagates at speed of light - is very good question.
A graviton simply inherits its properties from the classical wave it is meant to quantize. Whether or not there is a graviton is irrelevant, the speed is derived from linearized gravity, i.e. the wave solution in the weak field approximation.
Chronos
Feb10-10, 02:16 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
Instantaneous speed of gravity has been thoroughly debunked AFAIK.
phy_freak
Feb10-10, 09:58 AM
P: 32
Quote Quote by S.Vasojevic View Post
Hipothetical particle responsible for carrying gravity is massless boson called graviton. Massless particles propagate at speed of light.

If graviton is never confirmed to be real, then your question - why gravity propagates at speed of light - is very good question. Simply stating that GR forbids FTL communication, doesn't explain anything, because question is why speed of gravity propagation is exactly same as the speed of light propagation, not why gravity is not faster then light.

could you please explain what you meant by "GR" and "FTL" ?
mgb_phys
Feb10-10, 10:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
Quote Quote by phy_freak View Post
could you please explain what you meant by "GR" and "FTL" ?
GR = general relativity, Einstein's law of gravity
FTL = faster than light

Register to reply