Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed charge

by Shahid0072
Tags: charge, conducting, distributed, electric, field, sheet, uniformly
Shahid0072
Feb9-10, 12:11 PM
P: 56
Hi all ..
I was studying this electric field due to infinite non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed positive charge..Electric field due to it is of same direction and magnitude at any point..Which is called uniform electric field!I understood why direction of field is always perpendicular to plane of sheet and away from it..But i have doubt why it same same magnitude everywhere??Is it because it is infinite?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
Shahid0072
Feb9-10, 12:12 PM
P: 56
Its infinite..Just make sure
clem
Feb10-10, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,250
Because the plane is infinite, you can use symmetry to argue that the field mst be perpendicular to the plane. Then, Gauss's law can be used to show that E does ot depend on the distance from the plane.

Claude Bile
Feb11-10, 04:42 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,465

Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed charge

As the sheet is infinite, the lines of flux cannot diverge. Henceforce, the E field is constant no matter what distance you are from the infinite sheet of charge.

Claude.

Register to reply