Tangential electric force at a surface

In summary, it seems that the tangential electric force is continuous if the surface charge density is uniform, but it could have a discontinuous component if the tangential fields on each side of the surface are not parallel to each other.
josephsanders
Suppose you have an infinite plane of charge. If the surface charge density is uniform, would the tangential electric force always be zero, even if it is not a conductor nor static? My thought process for this is that if you look at each point charge and draw the electric field lines, then at any point on the surface the electric field in the tangential direction should cancel by symmetry?

I also have a followup question. I know by Maxwell's equations, the tangential electric force is continuous for any surface. However, this doesn't make much sense to me because the tangential fields on each side of the surface are by definition parallel to each other. So does it even make sense to say they are continuous or not?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
josephsanders said:
Suppose you have an infinite plane of charge. If the surface charge density is uniform, would the tangential electric force always be zero, even if it is not a conductor nor static? My thought process for this is that if you look at each point charge and draw the electric field lines, then at any point on the surface the electric field in the tangential direction should cancel by symmetry?
It seems reasonable to take the tangential component of E to be zero so that the direction of E at any point off of the plane is perpendicular to the plane.

However, you could add to this field a uniform electric field parallel to the infinite plane and the total E field would still satisfy Maxwell's equations! Seems strange, but Maxwell's equations are differential equations and a particular solution to the equations depends on the specification of boundary conditions for the field.

josephsanders said:
I also have a followup question. I know by Maxwell's equations, the tangential electric force is continuous for any surface. However, this doesn't make much sense to me because the tangential fields on each side of the surface are by definition parallel to each other. So does it even make sense to say they are continuous or not?
Let the z-axis be perpendicular to the plane so that the x and y axes are parallel to the plane. It does not follow from the definition of "tangential field" that the tangential fields on each side of the plane must be parallel to each other. If the tangential component of the field on one side is in the x-direction while the tangential field on the other side is in the y-direction, then you would have tangential fields that are not parallel to each other.

Even if the tangential fields on each side are parallel, they might not have the same magnitude. Then, the tangential field would not be continuous across the surface.

Likes josephsanders, topsquark and Lnewqban
Your charge distribution can be described by
$$\rho(\vec{x})=\sigma \delta(x_3),$$
where ##\sigma=\text{const}## is your uniform surface-charge density.

By symmetry the electrostatic potential should only be a function of ##x_3##. Then the Poisson equation reads
$$\Delta \Phi =\Phi''(x_3) = -\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} \delta(x_3).$$
For ##x_3 \neq 0## solution obviously is
$$\Phi(x_3)=A x_3 +B,$$
where ##A## and ##B## take different values for ##x_3<0## and ##x_3>0## to get the singularities to make up the ##\delta## distribution on the right-hand side of the equation. We can set ##B=0## on both sides, because this still satisfies the continuity condition for ##\Phi## at ##x_3=0##. So we get
$$\Phi(x_3)=A_< x_3 \Theta(-x_3) + A_> x_3 \Theta(x_3).$$
Integrating the Poisson equation over a little interval ##(-\epsilon,\epsilon)## and then letting ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+## leads to
$$\Phi'(0^+)-\Phi'^(-0^+)=A_>-A_<=-\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}.$$
By reflection symmetry ##\vec{E}(x_3)=-\vec{E}(-\vec{x}_3)##, which means ##A_<=-A_>##, you get
$$A_>=-A_<=-\frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0}$$
and thus
$$\vec{E}=\vec{e}_3 \frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0} [\Theta(x_3)-\Theta(-x_3)].$$

Likes josephsanders
TSny said:
It seems reasonable to take the tangential component of E to be zero so that the direction of E at any point off of the plane is perpendicular to the plane.

However, you could add to this field a uniform electric field parallel to the infinite plane and the total E field would still satisfy Maxwell's equations! Seems strange, but Maxwell's equations are differential equations and a particular solution to the equations depends on the specification of boundary conditions for the field.Let the z-axis be perpendicular to the plane so that the x and y axes are parallel to the plane. It does not follow from the definition of "tangential field" that the tangential fields on each side of the plane must be parallel to each other. If the tangential component of the field on one side is in the x-direction while the tangential field on the other side is in the y-direction, then you would have tangential fields that are not parallel to each other.

Even if the tangential fields on each side are parallel, they might not have the same magnitude. Then, the tangential field would not be continuous across the surface.
Thank you so much! This really helped clear my head about it :)

1. What is tangential electric force at a surface?

Tangential electric force at a surface is the force exerted by an electric field on a charged object that is parallel to the surface. It is also known as the parallel component of the electric force.

2. How is tangential electric force at a surface calculated?

Tangential electric force at a surface can be calculated using the equation F = qEsinθ, where q is the charge of the object, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of tangential electric force at a surface?

The magnitude of tangential electric force at a surface is affected by the charge of the object, the strength of the electric field, and the angle between the electric field and the surface. It is also dependent on the dielectric constant and the surface area of the object.

4. How does tangential electric force at a surface differ from normal electric force?

Tangential electric force at a surface is different from normal electric force in that it is parallel to the surface, while normal electric force is perpendicular to the surface. Tangential electric force is also known as the parallel component of the electric force, while normal electric force is known as the perpendicular component.

5. What is the significance of tangential electric force at a surface in practical applications?

Tangential electric force at a surface is important in many practical applications, such as in the operation of electric motors, generators, and capacitors. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and in the design of various electrical devices.