Biology Professor Kills Three

by zoobyshoe
Tags: biology, kills, professor
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Feb13-10, 08:48 AM
P: 5,625
First time I've ever heard of anything like this:

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. A biology professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville who authorities say opened fire at a faculty meeting is facing a murder charge after the shooting spree that left three dead and three wounded.

Amy Bishop, 42, was charged Friday night with one count of capital murder, which means she could face the death penalty if convicted. Three of Bishop's fellow biology professors were killed and three other university employees were wounded. No students were harmed in the shooting, which happened in a community known for its space and technology industries.

The husband of one of the victims said he was told those at the meeting were discussing tenure for Bishop, who had been an assistant professor since 2003. Authorities have not discussed a motive.

UAH student Andrew Cole was in Bishop's anatomy class Friday morning and said she seemed perfectly normal.

"She's understanding, and was concerned about students," he said. "I would have never thought it was her."

Bishop, a neurobiologist who studied at Harvard University, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way. ... They are still alive."

Police said they were also interviewing a man as "a person of interest."

University spokesman Ray Garner said the three killed were Gopi K. Podila, the chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences, and two other faculty members, Maria Ragland Davis and Adriel Johnson.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/...rsity_shooting
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Astronuc
Feb13-10, 08:50 AM
Admin
P: 21,808
I read about that this morning. She apparently flipped out - at a meeting about tenure.
elect_eng
Feb13-10, 08:51 AM
P: 370
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
I read about that this morning. She apparently flipped out - at a meeting about tenure.
I think she will have tenure where she is going now. Very sad, indeed.

zoobyshoe
Feb13-10, 09:10 AM
Biology Professor Kills Three

Apparently she was expecting it to go bad: she brought a gun.

This part is mysterious:

Police said they were also interviewing a man as "a person of interest."

Another student said:

Andrea Bennett, a sophomore majoring in nursing, described Bishop as being "very weird" and "a really big nerd."

"She's well-known on campus, but I wouldn't say she's a good teacher. I've heard a lot of complaints," Bennett said. "She's a genius, but she really just can't explain things."
It's pretty mind-boggling. I bet the whole campus is in shock.
Astronuc
Feb13-10, 09:38 AM
Admin
P: 21,808
I wonder if the police suspect that the 'person of interest' should have known or did know that the professor intended to threaten or use violence if she didn't get tenure, or did the POI have something to do with the gun?

If she showed up with a gun, that does suggest pre-meditation.

I'm sure the campus and the surrounding community are in shock.
zoobyshoe
Feb13-10, 09:46 AM
I wonder if the police suspect that the 'person of interest' should have known or did know that the professor intended to threaten or use violence if she didn't get tenure, or did the POI have something to do with the gun?
Yeah, that's the same set of questions I have. Did he know and fail to warn? Or was he some sort of accomplice?
Evo
Feb13-10, 09:55 AM
Mentor
P: 26,426
"It didn't happen. There's no way. ... They are still alive."
Did she think the gun was empty or had blanks? Perhaps the "person of interest" supplied her with the gun.

Even firing a gun you think is empty at people is unhinged.
dotman
Feb13-10, 09:58 AM
P: 142
Is this a sign that the tenure system is outdated, overly stress-inducing, and broken?
Newai
Feb13-10, 10:15 AM
P: 106
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Did she think the gun was empty or had blanks? Perhaps the "person of interest" supplied her with the gun.

I doubt she thought it was empty. She fired it enough times.
otto1923
Feb13-10, 10:16 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
No, it's a sign that crazy people, when given access to a gun, will use it and take innocent lives.
See?
waht
Feb13-10, 10:25 AM
P: 1,636
I heard about this last night. I thought that it was a student that went on a rampage. But a professor? Well, we are all human beings. Perhaps she just wanted to be appreciated more by the faculty, that's all. And then brokedown.
Newai
Feb13-10, 10:35 AM
P: 106
Quote Quote by otto1923 View Post
No, its a sign to everybody in Great Britain that Americans should not have access to firearms.
Why not add hydrogen peroxide and lipstick to the ban?
zoobyshoe
Feb13-10, 11:26 AM
Bishop, a neurobiologist who studied at Harvard University, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way. ... They are still alive."

The implication is that she was in a dissociative state for the whole thing. She may have been, or she may be faking that to lay grounds for an insanity plea. I haven't read the new DSM but it used to be said that the only people who fake insanity are sociopaths (anti-social personality disorder). Her diagnosis is going to be a big issue at the trial. This could be ASPD, post-traumatic stress, bipolar mania, or paranoid schizophrenia. In any event, the defense would have to prove she was so psychotic she didn't know right from wrong. That just about never happens in a courtroom, from what I understand.

In fact, she may already have a diagnosis and it could be the "person of interest" is her shrink.
zoobyshoe
Feb13-10, 11:38 AM
Quote Quote by waht View Post
I heard about this last night. I thought that it was a student that went on a rampage. But a professor? Well, we are all human beings. Perhaps she just wanted to be appreciated more by the faculty, that's all. And then brokedown.
Mass shootings are rarely carried out by women, said Dr. Park Dietz, who is president of Threat Assessment Group Inc., a Newport Beach, Calif.-based violence prevention firm.

A notable exception was a 1985 rampage at a Springfield, Pa., mall in which three people were killed. In June 1986, Sylvia Seegrist was deemed guilty but mentally ill on three counts of murder and seven counts of attempted murder in the shooting spree.

Dietz, who interviewed Seegrist after her arrest, said it was possible the suspect in Friday's shooting had a long-standing grudge against colleagues or superiors and felt complaints had not been dealt with fairly.

Gregg McCrary, a retired FBI agent and private criminal profiler based in Fredericksburg, Va., said there is no typical outline of a mass shooter but noted they often share a sense of paranoia, depression or a feeling that they are not appreciated.

As they say there's no fixed profile for this kind of killer, but it would be hard to believe such a surge of violence sprang from nowhere over this specific issue. I'm thinking this woman's been holding herself together with safety pins and duct tape for years.
cronxeh
Feb13-10, 11:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
If you peoples are done derailing this thread, I'd like to point something out. I am glad it wasn't Moonbear
lisab
Feb13-10, 11:57 AM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
If you peoples are done derailing this thread, I'd like to point something out. I am glad it wasn't Moonbear
Evo
Feb13-10, 12:03 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
This thread will not turn into yet another gun ownership thread.
rootX
Feb13-10, 12:44 PM
P: 1,294
This thread will not turn into yet another gun ownership thread.
I was thinking of that last night when I saw this news

Register to reply