Register to reply

Large Spur gear design

by ssakcaj77
Tags: design, gear, spur
Share this thread:
ssakcaj77
Feb14-10, 11:13 AM
P: 4
Hi, Im new to this forum so forgive if i am mis posting or multi posting. I am in the process of designing a 44 inch gear to cut on my shop bot cnc machine. I have been up and down calculations but i end up with tiny teeth and can not find the right formulae to calculate an oversize spur gear. Any thoughts ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
pantaz
Feb14-10, 05:37 PM
P: 589
What exactly are you trying to calculate? What do you mean by "tiny teeth"?
ssakcaj77
Feb15-10, 07:17 AM
Quote Quote by pantaz View Post
What exactly are you trying to calculate? What do you mean by "tiny teeth"?
I am trying to build an oversize gear with large teeth. Given a Pitch Diameter(D) of 44" I am trying to find how to base the number of teeth (N) in order to calculate Diametral pitch(P)

Pitch Diameter is D=N/P

Number of teeth is N=D x P

Diametral Pitch is P= N/D

Based on that, we have D but I am not sure what to do about knowing what the propper amount of teeth would be or do ya just pick em and go with it.

I picked a number and went with it for fun and when i was done calculateing addendum, dedendum etc I ended up with teeth that were around 1/2 big. It would work, but i need larger teeth for this project.

I also need to check to see about the radius used to make the sides of the teeth. I read that there is a chart of info on this . Need to find my machneries handbook!

Doug Huffman
Feb15-10, 10:28 AM
P: 84
Large Spur gear design

Pi is irrational, where do the left over digits go?
ssakcaj77
Feb15-10, 04:09 PM
Quote Quote by Doug Huffman View Post
Pi is irrational, where do the left over digits go?
doug, what the hell ya want me to do with that statement ?
Doug Huffman
Feb15-10, 04:19 PM
P: 84
I am traveling at the moment and for the week. I don't have my library handy. ISTR I seem to recall that there are formulas in The Machinery Handbook for setting up gear cutters. The extra digits of irrational numbers are a typical problem for real world problems.
ssakcaj77
Feb15-10, 04:32 PM
Quote Quote by Doug Huffman View Post
I am traveling at the moment and for the week. I don't have my library handy. ISTR I seem to recall that there are formulas in The Machinery Handbook for setting up gear cutters. The extra digits of irrational numbers are a typical problem for real world problems.
im just trying to find my copy of MHB right now
pantaz
Feb15-10, 09:28 PM
P: 589
QTC has their metric gear handbook online. The spur gear calculations are universal.
http://www.qtcgears.com/Q410/Q410Cat.htm

Register to reply