What is the Proper Involute Profile for Worm Gear Drive Teeth Design?

In summary, you are trying to model a worm gear in solidworks and you are finding difficulty finding information specific to worm gears. You need to find instructional videos on youtube to help you design your own worm gear.
Eddie714
Hello i am having trouble figuring out the proper profile to use for the worm and the gear. I need to model it in solidworks and everything i am finding online is for spur gears. I need to get the worm and gear to mesh correctly so i can do some finite element analysis on it. I have calculated my pitch diameters for both and i have what i believe to be the correct addendum and dedendum dimensions for my worm gear.

Can someone point me in the right direction? how does one get the proper involute for their teeth?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you just needing a standard worm gear in solidworks? Or are you making your own

Joppy said:
Are you just needing a standard worm gear in solidworks? Or are you making your own

im supposed to make my own. right now i am doing the gear with this technique i found https://grabcad.com/questions/tutor...te-gears-in-solidworks-and-show-design-intent
and i found a similar gear train to what i designed on paper on grabcad it came with the solidworks file of how the person created it.

Am i in the right direction?

I think you are yes. If you need to design your own worm gear, then find some instructional videos on youtube (there are plenty), and what you are currently using looks good too.

I guess the main things you need to consider are the teeth profiles and so on, which, there happens to be a lot of standard data for online

Joppy said:
I think you are yes. If you need to design your own worm gear, then find some instructional videos on youtube (there are plenty), and what you are currently using looks good too.

I guess the main things you need to consider are the teeth profiles and so on, which, there happens to be a lot of standard data for online

Thanks. I tried youtube already and can't seem to find much on worm gears. My main concern is that i don't know if what i am using (the link) is a spur gear? can the wheel in a worm train be a spur gear?

Yes, you can drive it with a spur gear

Joppy said:
Yes, you can drive it with a spur gear

Alright that's good to know then. I got my assembly almost done, but i ran into an issue. My gears diameter is rougly 80mm and i have some calculations(might be wrong) in which i need to use a 25mm diameter shaft. This sounds good in paper but i downloaded some 25mm diameter bearing solidworks file from McMaster-Carr and the bearings are almost as big as my gear!... it doesn't look reasonable to me. Any thoughts on it?

The worm and worm wheel must be matched. The worm can have any profile, pitch or starts of “thread”.
The worm wheel must be a profile that mates with the worm.

Imagine a worm with cutting flutes like a threading tap. Then turn the worm to cut the teeth in the wheel.

High power worm gears have a non-cylindrical worm that is more rigid, stronger and makes greater contact with the wheel than would a simple screw.

What is a worm gear drive?

A worm gear drive is a type of gear system that consists of a worm (a type of screw) and a worm wheel (a gear). This system is used to transmit power between two non-parallel shafts. The worm rotates the worm wheel, causing it to rotate in a perpendicular direction.

How does the design of the worm gear teeth affect the performance of the drive?

The design of the worm gear teeth determines the efficiency, strength, and durability of the worm gear drive. The shape, size, and spacing of the teeth can impact the power transmission, speed, and noise level of the drive.

What factors should be considered when designing worm gear teeth?

When designing worm gear teeth, factors such as the load, speed, torque, and operating conditions should be taken into account. The material, lubrication, and manufacturing processes are also important considerations.

What is the difference between single and double-enveloping worm gear teeth design?

Single-enveloping worm gear teeth have a concave shape and only one side of the gear is in contact with the worm. Double-enveloping worm gear teeth have a convex shape and both sides of the gear are in contact with the worm. Double-enveloping teeth have a higher load capacity and efficiency, but are more complex and expensive to manufacture.

How can the wear and noise level of worm gear teeth be minimized?

To minimize wear and noise level in worm gear teeth, proper lubrication, material selection, and tooth profile design are crucial. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help to identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.