Gravitational time dilation

by Seedling
Tags: dilation, gravitational, time
Seedling
Feb15-10, 08:41 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the difference in time after one year between a clock at Earth's surface and a clock on a satellite orbiting at 300 km above the surface

2. Relevant equations

T = T0 / (1 - 2gR/c^2)^.5

That is, this:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...grel/gtim3.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand how to use this equation to get the difference between the clock on the satellite and the clock on the surface. Do I just take the value of T with R = Earth's radius, and again with R = Earth's radius + 300 km, and take the difference?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
tiny-tim
Feb16-10, 05:13 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
Hi Seedling!

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box )
Quote Quote by Seedling View Post
T = T0 / (1 - 2gR/c^2)^.5

I don't understand how to use this equation to get the difference between the clock on the satellite and the clock on the surface. Do I just take the value of T with R = Earth's radius, and again with R = Earth's radius + 300 km, and take the difference?
The ratio, rather than the difference

T0 is the time on a clock "at infinity", and TR is the time on a clock at radius R, so TR/T0 is the ratio of their "speeds", and TR=h/TR is the ratio you want.

(But remember that this formula only gives you the general relativity time dilation there'll also be an ordinary Lorentz time dilation, in the opposite direction ).

Register to reply