Gravitational time dilation - acceleration vs potential

In summary: This is at best a heuristic explanation of why light bends towards a source of gravity. According to GR, this is again a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the force of gravity.
Prometeus
What I know gravitational time dilation (based on GRT) is dependent on gravity potential and not on gravitational acceleration. That would mean, that for example in center of Earth is the gravitational acceleration zero, but the gravitational potential is bigger than on the surface of Earth, meaning that gravitational time dilation is bigger in center of Earth than on surface of Earth. This is standard mainstream interpretation but what I know, this was never confirmed by experiments.

There were experiments which confirmed gravitational time dilation comparing atomic clocks in different heighs above surface of Earth or by GPS satellites. But what I know there were no tests which confirmed this for different states of gravitational acceleration and gravitational acceleration. Theoretically it could be tested by comparing atomic clock on surface and atomic clock in some deep mine, but there is major problem that gravitational acceleration starts to decline in around 2000 km under surface of Earth, so experiments surface vs deep mine would not deliver detectable difference.

So I am coming to my main question: If we can not confirm this directly by experiment, could it be done is some reverted experiment or observation? Meaning that if gravitational time dilation would depend on gravitational acceleration and not on gravitational potential, this would in theory lead to some specific observable effects, which in theory could be observed, but were not observed in reality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prometeus said:
in center of Earth is the gravitational acceleration zero, but the gravitational potential is bigger than on the surface of Earth, meaning that gravitational time dilation is bigger in center of Earth than on surface of Earth

This is correct.

Prometeus said:
this was never confirmed by experiments

True, since we have no easy way of sending a clock to the center of the Earth and having it exchange light signals with us on the surface so we can see how its rate of time flow compares to ours.

Prometeus said:
there were no tests which confirmed this for different states of gravitational acceleration and gravitational acceleration

Yes there are. The GPS satellites are in free-fall orbits. They have zero proper acceleration; we here on Earth's surface have 1 g proper acceleration.

Also, the orbital altitude of the GPS satellites is high enough that the "acceleration due to gravity" there (which the satellites don't feel, since they're in free fall) is significantly lower than it is on Earth's surface. So if the rate of time flow were affected by "acceleration due to gravity" as well as potential, this effect would show up in GPS, and it doesn't.

Prometeus said:
if gravitational time dilation would depend on gravitational acceleration and not on gravitational potential, this would in theory lead to some specific observable effects, which in theory could be observed, but were not observed in reality?

This experiment has been done: GPS. See above.

Prometeus said:
Meaning that if gravitational time dilation would depend on gravitational acceleration and not on gravitational potential, this would in theory lead to some specific observable effects, which in theory could be observed, but were not observed in reality?
I am not aware of any theory where time dilation depends on gravitational acceleration. Such a theory would be incompatible with the equivalence principle, so I guess that any test of the equivalence principle would indirectly rule out all such theories.

gravitation force comes from gradient of gravitation potential, i.e. gradient of time dilation. Gravitation force shows direction and magnitude which and how much lower in gravitational position and slower in time dilation.

Last edited:
Gravity probe A (the scout rocket tests) would probably be good test of GR's predictions with respect to gravitatioanal potential vs acceleration.

There's a wiki article on the test.

Prometeus said:
What I know gravitational time dilation (based on GRT) is dependent on gravity potential and not on gravitational acceleration.

I am not so sure but we may be able to say gravity potential depends on or is generated from time dilation thus gradient of gravity potential, i.e. gravity acceleration depends on gradient of time-dilation.

For example say light goes horizontally on surface of planet, in the higher part light goes more than in the lower part due to gradient or time dilation, thus light bends downward by Huygence's principle. This is interpreted as gravity bends light down.

sweet springs said:
I am not so sure but we may be able to say gravity potential depends on or is generated from time dilation

It's better to say the two of them are different manifestations of the same thing (a particular kind of curved spacetime geometry). Neither one is "more fundamental" than the other.

Likes sweet springs
sweet springs said:
For example say light goes horizontally on surface of planet, in the higher part light goes more than in the lower part due to gradient or time dilation, thus light bends downward by Huygence's principle.

This is at best a heuristic explanation of why light bends towards a source of gravity. According to GR, this is again a manifestation of a particular kind of spacetime geometry, that results in a particular configuration of null geodesics. There is no need to invoke any particular properties of light, much less a particular model of light (Huygens' Principle, which depends on a particular wave model of light).

Likes sweet springs
PeterDonis said:
This is at best a heuristic explanation of why light bends towards a source of gravity. According to GR, this is again a manifestation of a particular kind of spacetime geometry, that results in a particular configuration of null geodesics. There is no need to invoke any particular properties of light, much less a particular model of light (Huygens' Principle, which depends on a particular wave model of light).
Einstein originally calculated the deflection of light by Huygens' Principle, and I saw it a while ago in a GR-textbook (I forget which one it was). So I wouldn't say it is merely heuristic; it's one way to calculate and understand the bending of light.

Likes sweet springs
haushofer said:
it's one way to calculate and understand the bending of light

But it only works for a particular model of light. What's more, that model isn't even the one that's usually used in GR to model light rays (normally problems like the bending of light in GR are treated using the geometric optics approximation).

Whereas the geometric model predicts that anything that follows null geodesics will be deflected in a gravitational field; you don't have to know anything about the details of the thing, other than it following null geodesics.

What is gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at a different rate for objects in different gravitational fields. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, time moves slower in stronger gravitational fields.

How does acceleration affect gravitational time dilation?

Acceleration does not directly affect gravitational time dilation. However, acceleration can indirectly affect time dilation by changing the gravitational potential of an object. This is because acceleration and gravitational potential are related through the equation dP/dt = -m*g, where dP/dt is the rate of change of gravitational potential, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does gravitational potential affect gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational potential directly affects gravitational time dilation. The higher the gravitational potential of an object, the slower time moves for that object. This is because the stronger the gravitational field, the more curved space-time becomes, and the slower time moves.

What is the difference between gravitational time dilation and time dilation in special relativity?

Gravitational time dilation is a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects, while time dilation in special relativity is a result of relative motion between two observers. Gravitational time dilation is also dependent on the strength of the gravitational field, while time dilation in special relativity is dependent on the relative velocity between observers.

Can gravitational time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, gravitational time dilation can be observed in everyday life. For example, clocks at higher altitudes run slightly faster than clocks at lower altitudes due to the difference in gravitational potential. This effect is also observed in GPS satellites, which need to account for the slight time dilation in order to provide accurate location data.