Thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD

In summary, the conversation is about running a symmetrical grazing angle XRD on carbon thin films. The person is seeking guidance on how to perform this type of measurement since they have only done asymmetric grazing angle XRD which measures diffraction patterns out of plane with the substrate. They mention that they have a vague idea that the in-plane symmetric mode is similar to a locked couple mode, but are unsure. They also mention that they have a Shimandzu thin film XRD and are seeking help in avoiding peaks from planes normal to the substrate.
nsoin
Hi guys

I wanted to know if somebody can guide me on how to run a symmetrical grazing angle XRD on carbon thin films. I have been doing asymmetric grazing angle which predominantely measures diffraction pattern which is out of plane (normal) to the substrate. Now, I want to do an in-plane symmetric mode which could measure diffraction coming from planes parallel to the substrate, could somebody guide me on this ??
I have a vague idea that the inplane symmetric mode would be similar to a locked couple mode but I could be miles off :rolleyes: !
the system is a bruker d8 discover

thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Sorry I don't know answer for your question. But I wanted to know how to do out of plane XRD. Means I wannt to avoid peaks from the planes which are normal to the substrate.
We have Grazing angle shimandzu thinfilm XRD.
If anybody know please help in this regard

Thanks In advance

What is thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD?

Thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD (X-ray diffraction) is a technique used in materials science to analyze the structure of thin films, such as those used in semiconductors or coatings. It involves directing an X-ray beam at a very low angle onto the surface of the film and measuring the reflected or diffracted X-rays to gather information about the film's crystal structure and orientation.

What are the advantages of using thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD?

One advantage of this technique is its ability to analyze thin films with high sensitivity and resolution. It can also measure the thickness and composition of thin films, as well as their crystallographic information. Additionally, thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD can be used to study the effects of strain and defects on the film's structure, providing valuable information for materials research and development.

What are the limitations of thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD?

One limitation of this technique is that it requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it less accessible for some researchers. Additionally, the low angle of the X-ray beam can cause complications in data analysis, and the film's surface must be flat and smooth for accurate results. Finally, thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD is not suitable for analyzing thicker films or bulk materials.

How is thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD different from other XRD techniques?

Thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD differs from other XRD techniques in that it uses a very low incident angle of the X-ray beam, typically below 1 degree, to analyze the surface of thin films. This allows for more precise measurements of the film's structure and orientation, which may not be possible with other XRD methods that use higher angles.

What applications can benefit from thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD?

Thin film asymmetrical grazing angle XRD has a wide range of applications, including materials research and development, semiconductor manufacturing, and thin film coatings for various industries. It can also be used in the analysis of biological samples, such as proteins and DNA, to study their structures and interactions. Additionally, this technique is valuable in quality control and failure analysis for thin film products.