Solve Kinematic Problem: Mountain Climber Throws Stones

• Thread starter optoracko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the mountain climber throws two stones vertically 1.0 s apart from a height of 50.0m with initial velocity of +2.0m/s. After 3.4s, both stones hit the water, with the second having an initial velocity of -9.06m/s. At the instant both stones hit the water, the velocities of both stones are -32.22m/s and -38.46m/s respectively.
optoracko

Homework Statement

A mountain climber stands at the top of a 50.0m cliff hanging over a calm pool of water. The climber throws two stones vertically 1.0 s apart and observes that they cause a single splash when they hit the water. The first stone has an initial velocity of + 2.0 m/s.

a) How long after release of the first stone will the two stones hit the water?

b) What is the initial velocity of the second stone when it is thrown?

c) What will the velocity of each stone be at the instant both stones hit the water?

Homework Equations

displacement = V1time + 1/2atime2
V2 = V1 + a(time)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I'm essentially, interpreting it as the time is takes the first stone to hit the water, as that is the time after the release. And the second stone is thrown during this time. -50.0m for displacement, +2.0 for velocity 1, acceleration is -9.81. I rearrange and use the quad formula for solve to get the time as 3.4s. Is my interpretation of part a correct?

For b, I subtract 1.0s from the 3.4s, as the second is released 1.0s after. Same equation used in part a, to solve for V1, which turns out as -9.06 m/s. Number seems somewhat reasonable, since it falls much faster.

For c, I solve the final velocities seperately, both using the formula for V2, but for differnet times and init. velocities.

Are my thought processes and method correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!:smile:

Yes, you are going right.

1. What is a kinematic problem?

A kinematic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the analysis of motion without considering the cause of the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without taking into account the forces that act on it.

2. How does a mountain climber throwing stones relate to kinematic problems?

In this scenario, the mountain climber throwing stones involves the analysis of the motion of the stones as they are thrown. This can be broken down into kinematic components such as the initial velocity, the trajectory of the stones, and the final position of the stones.

3. What are the key steps in solving a kinematic problem?

The key steps in solving a kinematic problem are identifying the given variables, choosing the appropriate kinematic equations, setting up the problem with the given information, and solving for the unknown variables using algebraic manipulation of the kinematic equations.

4. How does the motion of the mountain climber affect the motion of the stones?

The motion of the mountain climber, specifically their initial velocity and angle of throw, will affect the initial velocity and trajectory of the stones. This will in turn affect the final position of the stones and the distance they travel.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinematic problems?

Kinematic problems have many real-world applications, such as analyzing the motion of projectiles in sports like baseball or football, understanding the motion of vehicles in traffic, and predicting the motion of celestial bodies in space.