Are two objects in free fall hitting the water at the same time?

In summary, a physics student throws two stones from a 50.0m high cliff, 1.00s apart, and observes that they cause a single splash at the same time. The first stone has an initial speed of 2.00m/s. Using the equation X=Xo-0.5gt^2, the student calculates that the two stones will hit the water after 2.99s. To determine the initial velocity of the second stone needed to hit the water simultaneously, the student uses the equation X=V(t-1)-4.9(t-1)^2 and finds that it must be thrown with a higher initial velocity. Although the stones reach the surface of the water at the same time, their
Ab17

Homework Statement

An inquisitive physics student and mountain climber climbs a 50.0m high cliff that overhangs a calm pool of water. He throws two stones vertically downward, 1.00 s apart, and observes that they cause a single splash. The first stone has an initial speed of 2.00 m/s. (a) How long after release of the first stone do the two stones hit the water? (b) What initial velocity must the second stone have if the two stones are to hit the water simultaneously? (c) What is the speed of each stone at the instant the two stones hit the water?

Homework Equations

X=Xo-0.5gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) X=-2t-4.9t^2
50=-2t-4.9t^2
t=2.99s

(b) X=V(t-1)-4.9(t-1)^2...

The thing that I don't understand is that the question states that both stones hit the ground at the same time (splash together), but in solving this problem we use "t-1" which would mean that the second stone hits the ground one second before the first stone. Am I interpreting the question wrong. Could you please explain fully

Physics news on Phys.org
Ab17 said:

Homework Statement

An inquisitive physics student and mountain climber climbs a 50.0m high cliff that overhangs a calm pool of water. He throws two stones vertically downward, 1.00 s apart, and observes that they cause a single splash. The first stone has an initial speed of 2.00 m/s. (a) How long after release of the first stone do the two stones hit the water? (b) What initial velocity must the second stone have if the two stones are to hit the water simultaneously? (c) What is the speed of each stone at the instant the two stones hit the water?

Homework Equations

X=Xo-0.5gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) X=-2t-4.9t^2
50=-2t-4.9t^2
t=2.99s

(b) X=V(t-1)-4.9(t-1)^2...

The thing that I don't understand is that the question states that both stones hit the ground at the same time (splash together), but in solving this problem we use "t-1" which would mean that the second stone hits the ground one second before the first stone. Am I interpreting the question wrong. Could you please explain fully
Welcome to the PF.

The 2nd stone is thrown 1 second after the first, but with a higher initial vertical velocity. That is how it can catch up to the first stone just as they reach the water. Does that help?

I understand what you are pointing out. But I am confused if both stones do touch the ground at the same time because the second stone take 1.99s to touch ground while the first takes 2.99s

Ab17 said:
I understand what you are pointing out. But I am confused if both stones do touch the ground at the same time because the second stone take 1.99s to touch ground while the first takes 2.99s
That matches them being thrown 1 second apart, no? :smile:

So the time at which they reach the ground is not equal?

Ab17 said:
So the time at which they reach the ground is not equal?
They reach the surface of the water at the same time Tfinal. They are thrown at two different starting times. Their flight distances are equal. That's how you solve for the actual flight time durations...

Likes Ab17
Ok thanks a lot I think I understand a little bit. Really appreciate your help. God bless you

Likes berkeman

What is free fall?

Free fall is when an object is falling under the sole influence of gravity, without any other external forces acting on it.

What are the factors that affect the acceleration of two objects in free fall?

The acceleration of two objects in free fall is affected by the mass of the objects and the gravitational force acting on them.

How does the distance between two objects in free fall affect their acceleration?

The distance between two objects in free fall does not affect their acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared regardless of the distance between the objects.

What is the relationship between the velocity and time of two objects in free fall?

The velocity of two objects in free fall increases at a constant rate over time. This means that the longer the objects are in free fall, the greater their velocity will be.

Can two objects in free fall have different accelerations?

No, two objects in free fall will have the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass or initial velocity. This is known as the equivalence principle.