Closure of { (x,sin(1/x) : 0<x<=1 }?

by filter54321
Tags: 0<x<1, closure, sin1 or x
Share this thread:
filter54321
Mar1-10, 06:28 PM
P: 39
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
What is the closure of F = { (x,sin(1/x) : 0<x<=1 }?

2. Relevant equations
None

3. The attempt at a solution
F is a squiggly line in R2. For every point in F (every point on the squiggly line) an open ball about that point will contain point both in F and in the complement of F. Therefore F is it's own boundary.

The closure of a set is equal to the unions of the boundary of the set and the set itself
Sclosure = dS U S

Therefore Fclosure = dF U F = F U F = F

My professor indicated that this line of reasoning is flawed. I'm not sure why nor am I sure what a correct anyswer would be. Any help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Mathnerdmo
Mar1-10, 06:34 PM
P: 41
What do you know about sin(1/x)?

Look at the graph again. It does something very interesting.
filter54321
Mar1-10, 07:08 PM
P: 39
I know what it looks like, it's a common example in calculus. It bounces up and down as you go to 0 with ever increasing frequency. How does that have anything to do with the boundary methodology outlined in my original post?

JG89
Mar1-10, 07:08 PM
P: 726
Closure of { (x,sin(1/x) : 0<x<=1 }?

Use the fact that Cl(F) = lim(F) = {x : x is a limit of F}. Now let x approach any value in (0,1] and look at the set of F's limits.
Mathnerdmo
Mar1-10, 08:10 PM
P: 41
The graph of y = sin(1/x), in particular that it oscillates with increasing frequency as x gets closer to 0, has everything to do with the boundary.

Quote Quote by filter54321 View Post
F is a squiggly line in R2. For every point in F (every point on the squiggly line) an open ball about that point will contain point both in F and in the complement of F. Therefore F is it's own boundary.
The problem is right here. All you've shown is that F is a subset of its boundary. There may be other points of R2 in the boundary.

Register to reply