Topology on a set ##X## (find interior, closure and boundary of sets)

In summary, a topology on a set is a collection of subsets that satisfy specific properties, including containing the empty set and the entire set, being closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions, and being closed under taking complements. To find the interior of a set, the largest open subset can be found by taking the union of all open subsets within the set. The closure of a set is the smallest closed subset that contains the set, found by taking the intersection of all closed subsets that contain the set. The boundary of a set consists of all points that are neither in the interior nor in the exterior of the set. Topology has practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, including analyzing surfaces, shapes,
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a nonempty set and let ##x_0 \in X##.

(a) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \in U\} \cup \{\emptyset\}## is a topology on ##X##.
(b) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \not \in U\} \cup \{X\}## is a topology on ##X##.

Describe the interior, the closure and the boundary of the subsets of ##X## with respect to each of these two topologies. The attempt at a solution.

(a) Let ##A \subset X##. Suppose ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open so ##A=A^{\circ}##. Now suppose ##x_0 \not \in A##. Then, for any ##S \subset A##, ##x \not \in S## so ##A## doesn't contain open sets appart from ##\emptyset##; from here one deduces ##A^{\circ}=\emptyset##.

If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is closed, so ##A=\overline{A}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open and note that for any ##F## such that ##A \subset F##, ##x_0 \in F##, this means there isn't any closed set containing ##A## appart from ##X##, so ##\overline{A}=X##.

(b) If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is open, so ##A=A^{\circ}##. If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##x \in A^{\circ}## iff there is ##U## open such that ##x \in U \subset A##. As ##x_0 \not \in U##, it is easy to see that ##A^{\circ}=A \setminus \{x_0\}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, A is closed so ##\overline{A}=A##. If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then, the smallest closed set containing ##A## is ##A \cup \{x_0\}## so ##\overline{A}=A \cup \{x_0\}##.

I can describe the boundary of ##A## in (a) and (b) using the identity ##∂A=\overline{A} \setminus A^{\circ}## but I wanted to know if what I did up to now is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a nonempty set and let ##x_0 \in X##.

(a) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \in U\} \cup \{\emptyset\}## is a topology on ##X##.
(b) ##\{U \in \mathcal P(X) : x_0 \not \in U\} \cup \{X\}## is a topology on ##X##.

Describe the interior, the closure and the boundary of the subsets of ##X## with respect to each of these two topologies. The attempt at a solution.

(a) Let ##A \subset X##. Suppose ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open so ##A=A^{\circ}##. Now suppose ##x_0 \not \in A##. Then, for any ##S \subset A##, ##x \not \in S## so ##A## doesn't contain open sets appart from ##\emptyset##; from here one deduces ##A^{\circ}=\emptyset##.

If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is closed, so ##A=\overline{A}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##A## is open and note that for any ##F## such that ##A \subset F##, ##x_0 \in F##, this means there isn't any closed set containing ##A## appart from ##X##, so ##\overline{A}=X##.
Are you thinking that "If U is open then it cannot be closed"? That is NOT in general true. There exist topologies in which there exist sets that are both open and closed and, indeed, a topology in which all sets are both open and closed.

(b) If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then ##A## is open, so ##A=A^{\circ}##. If ##x_0 \in A##, then ##x \in A^{\circ}## iff there is ##U## open such that ##x \in U \subset A##. As ##x_0 \not \in U##, it is easy to see that ##A^{\circ}=A \setminus \{x_0\}##.

If ##x_0 \in A##, A is closed so ##\overline{A}=A##. If ##x_0 \not \in A##, then, the smallest closed set containing ##A## is ##A \cup \{x_0\}## so ##\overline{A}=A \cup \{x_0\}##.

I can describe the boundary of ##A## in (a) and (b) using the identity ##∂A=\overline{A} \setminus A^{\circ}## but I wanted to know if what I did up to now is correct.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Likes 1 person
I don't see anything wrong, but I agree with Halls that your explanation of why ##\overline A=X## in part (a) sounds a little bit like "since it it's open, it can't be closed". So you may want to clarify that if F≠X, then F isn't closed because its complement isn't open.

Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
I don't see anything wrong, but I agree with Halls that your explanation of why ##\overline A=X## in part (a) sounds a little bit like "since it it's open, it can't be closed". So you may want to clarify that if F≠X, then F isn't closed because its complement isn't open.

I know that there exist clopen sets so I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I would like to know if now it is well justified: suppose ##F \neq X##, since ##x_0 \not \in F^c##, then ##F^c## is not open, which implies ##{F^c}^c=F## can't be closed.

Yes, that works.

1. What is a topology on a set?

A topology on a set is a collection of subsets of the set that satisfy certain properties. These properties include containing the empty set and the entire set, being closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions, and being closed under taking complements.

2. How do you find the interior of a set?

The interior of a set is defined as the largest open subset of the set. To find it, we can take the union of all open subsets contained within the set. This can also be thought of as all the points in the set that do not lie on the boundary.

3. How do you find the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is defined as the smallest closed subset that contains the set. To find it, we can take the intersection of all closed subsets that contain the set. This can also be thought of as all the points in the set and its boundary.

4. What is the boundary of a set?

The boundary of a set is defined as all the points that are neither in the interior nor in the exterior of the set. In other words, it is the set of all points that lie on the edge or boundary of the set.

5. How can topology be used in real-life applications?

Topology has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to study the properties of surfaces and shapes, to analyze data and networks, and to solve optimization problems. For example, topology can be used in designing efficient transportation routes and in developing algorithms for data analysis and machine learning.