Register to reply

Need help with momentum

by noname1
Tags: momentum
Share this thread:
noname1
Mar3-10, 08:55 PM
P: 129
The figure below gives an overhead view of the path taken by a 0.165 kg cue ball as it bounces from the rail of a pool table. The ball's initial speed is 2.00 m/s, and the angle θ1 = 30.0. The bounce reverses the y component of the ball's velocity but does not alter the x component.

(b) What is the change in the ball's linear momentum in unit-vector notation? (The fact that the ball rolls is irrelevant to the question.)

I tried solving the one that wrong by 2*0.165*2*cos(30) = -5.72j but when i submit the answer is saying its wrong

what am i doing wrong
Attached Thumbnails
hrw7_9-47.gif  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Delphi51
Mar3-10, 10:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
Looks okay to me.
joriarty
Mar4-10, 12:18 AM
P: 62
Check your calculation, you seem to be out by an order of magnitude.

[tex]2\cdot 0.165\cdot 2\cdot \cos \left( 30 \right)=0.5716[/tex]

Register to reply