Physics linear momentum/ average force

In summary, a 0.2 kg rubber ball is falling vertically at 3 m/s and rebounds back at the same speed after colliding with the floor for 0.05 s. To find the average force exerted by the floor on the ball, the initial and final momentum need to be calculated and the formula for average force should be applied, keeping in mind that momentum is a vector and may be negative after the bounce.
astru025

Homework Statement

A very hard rubber ball (m = 0.2 kg) is falling vertically at 3 m/s just before it bounces on the floor. The ball rebounds back at essentially the same speed. If the collision with the floor lasts 0.05 s, what is the average force exerted by the floor on the ball?

Homework Equations

Net force= change in momentum/ time taken
Linear momentum= mass x velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the linear momentum of the ball before it hits the ground: .2 kg x 3 m/s= .6
After this I am lost and am not sure what I do next. I not sure what I need to do in order to find average force from this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now you have the initial momentum find the final momentum... Then apply the formula for average force...

... Bearing in mind that momentum is a vector, so if you are measuring momentum as positive downwards then after the bounce it will be negative.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum, also known as "momentum" or "quantity of motion", is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is conserved in a closed system.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum (p) can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula is: p = m * v. The SI unit for linear momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg-m/s).

3. What is average force?

Average force is the total force exerted on an object over a given period of time divided by the duration of that time. It is a measure of the average impact or push of a force on an object.

4. How is average force related to linear momentum?

Average force and linear momentum are directly related through the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the average force applied to the object multiplied by the time interval over which the force acts. In other words, the average force acting on an object is equal to its change in momentum divided by the time interval.

5. Why is the conservation of linear momentum important?

The conservation of linear momentum is an important principle in physics because it allows us to predict the outcomes of interactions between objects. In a closed system, the total linear momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains constant, which helps us understand and analyze the motion of objects and systems.