Do I need ODE and PDE for differential topology?

by 5kold
Tags: differential, topology
5kold is offline
Mar10-10, 12:01 AM
P: 13
I am a senior in mathematics studying graduate point-set topoology atm. I am thinking I want to study differential topology in graduate school and maybe apply it to problems in cosmology. Do I need to take more ODE and PDE? I took intro to diff eq- the one that all engineering undergrads take. Is that enough? I would assume not but I may be surprised. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
quasar987 is offline
Mar10-10, 08:25 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
quasar987's Avatar
P: 4,768
You don't need any special knowledge about diff equ. to study the basics of differential topology as in, say, the book by Hirsch or Guillemin & Pollack.
g_edgar is offline
Mar10-10, 10:40 AM
P: 608
And even if you did, it would be a DE course for mathematics students (one that does proofs) and not a DE course for engineers (one that does "what is it useful for?").

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Mathematica and differential topology Math & Science Software 6
Differential Topology Differential Geometry 4
Differential topology basics Differential Geometry 7
Differential Topology Calculus & Beyond Homework 6
Differential topology Academic Guidance 2