Proving the Differential Map (Pushforward) is Well-Defined

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the well-definition of the differential map (pushforward) in a graduate math course. The map is defined as a smooth map between two smooth manifolds, and it is necessary to show that it is surjective and does not depend on a certain choice of chart or other parameters. The group also discusses choosing a definition for the differential map and ensuring that it is well-defined.
Fgard
I am taking my first graduate math course and I am not really familiar with the thought process. My professor told us to think about how to prove that the differential map (pushforward) is well-defined.

The map
$$f:M\rightarrow N$$ is a smooth map, where ##M, N## are two smooth manifolds. If ##(U,x)\in A_M## and ##(V,y)\in A_N## are two charts in their respective atlas then the map ##x\circ f\circ y^{-1} ## is also smooth. Then what remains to prove is that ## f## is surjective. Is this correct? Or do I need to prove something else as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, what you have is the map, the differential of this map is another map, that takes tangent vectors on ##M## to tangent vectors on ##N##. You have to prove that whatever definition was given in the lectures (something we can only guess) is well defined.

Likes lavinia and Orodruin
Fgard said:
I am taking my first graduate math course and I am not really familiar with the thought process. My professor told us to think about how to prove that the differential map (pushforward) is well-defined.

The map
$$f:M\rightarrow N$$ is a smooth map, where ##M, N## are two smooth manifolds. If ##(U,x)\in A_M## and ##(V,y)\in A_N## are two charts in their respective atlas then the map ##x\circ f\circ y^{-1} ## is also smooth. Then what remains to prove is that ## f## is surjective. Is this correct? Or do I need to prove something else as well?
Shouldn't it be ##y\circ f\circ x^{-1} ## which is smooth? But besides this, the differentiability is given by definition. If the chart mappings weren't smooth, we wouldn't call the manifolds smooth. Also surjectivity isn't needed except you only want to consider ##N=f(M)##. Well-definition means, that no two elements of ##N## can be the image of one point in ##M##. What does this mean in the given situation? We don't have an element in ##M## that could end up in two different ways under ##f##. But we do have eventually two different charts for this element ##x \in M##. Could it end up in two different charts of ##N## where they represent different points?

Okej, so I have to choose a definition for the differential map and show that map dose not depend on a certain choice of chart. Thanks.

Fgard said:
Okej, so I have to choose a definition for the differential map and show that map dose not depend on a certain choice of chart. Thanks.
Well, you should choose the one your professor told you to think about. And you need to show it doesn't depend on whatever choice was made, it could be a chart, but it could be something else. For example given a vector on M, choose a curve, whose tangent vector is the given one, then map the curve to N, take the tangent vector. If your definition is something along these lines, then you need to show that it doesn't depend on the choice of the curve.

1. What is the differential map (pushforward) and why is it important in proving well-definedness?

The differential map, also known as the pushforward, is a linear map between tangent spaces induced by a smooth function between manifolds. It is important in proving well-definedness because it allows us to compare the tangent spaces of two different manifolds and show that they are equivalent.

2. How do you show that the differential map is well-defined?

To show that the differential map is well-defined, we must first define the smooth function between manifolds and then prove that the induced linear map between tangent spaces is independent of the choice of coordinate systems. This can be done by using the chain rule and showing that the resulting linear maps are equivalent.

3. Can the differential map be well-defined for all smooth functions?

No, the differential map is only well-defined for smooth functions between manifolds. It cannot be defined for non-smooth functions or functions between spaces that are not manifolds.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the well-definedness of the differential map?

One common misconception is that the differential map is automatically well-defined for all smooth functions. This is not true, as the smoothness of the function and the manifolds involved must also be taken into account. Another misconception is that the differential map is always one-to-one, but this is not necessarily the case.

5. How does the well-definedness of the differential map relate to the smoothness of a function?

The well-definedness of the differential map is dependent on the smoothness of the function. A smooth function will always induce a well-defined differential map, but a non-smooth function will not. Additionally, showing that the differential map is well-defined can also help to prove the smoothness of a function between manifolds.