How Can I Calculate the Surface Drag for My Prototype Car?

In summary, you need to have the coefficient of friction, the surface area of the vehicle, and the Reynolds number (the scale of the vehicle) in order to calculate the shear drag.
Carvinos
hello!
i want to calculate th total drag (surface and pressure drags) for my prototype car, a project of shell eco marathon. Actually our prototype has the shape of an airfoil, its quite stream line.the Cd we use is 0.04 which is used for streamline shapes. ihave calculated the pressure drag using the following formula:
Df=0.5*v^2*rho*Cd*A
A = pi/4*d^2 where d is the diameter of the cross section of the airfoil shaped body from the front end. now tell me please how do i calculate the surface drag because for streamline shapes, surface drag becomes more significant.
reply soon please

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carvinos said:
hello!
i want to calculate th total drag (surface and pressure drags) for my prototype car, a project of shell eco marathon. Actually our prototype has the shape of an airfoil, its quite stream line.the Cd we use is 0.04 which is used for streamline shapes. ihave calculated the pressure drag using the following formula:
Df=0.5*v^2*rho*Cd*A
A = pi/4*d^2 where d is the diameter of the cross section of the airfoil shaped body from the front end. now tell me please how do i calculate the surface drag because for streamline shapes, surface drag becomes more significant.
reply soon please

I think the drag you have calculatated includes the skin friction drag you are talking about, typically the force you have calculated includes a shear and pressure component, the shear being from the skin friction.

You need to have Cf (skin friction coef) to determine the value of shear drag force and also the surface area of the vehicle (not easy to obtain for either).

To calculate the shear drag by hand is very lengthy, if involves calculating the local shear force inside the BL at points on the body and then produce the average from these. There is also a lot of these equations as they are usually empircal formulas from experimental data such as;

Cd_laminar = 0.664/sqrt(Re.x)
Cd_turbulent = 0.0576/(Re.x)^0.2

so you also need to know where the BL is turbulent and laminar.

If you have Cf i think the shear drag is just Fsd = Cf*S*0.5*rho*v^2 (S being the surface area)

If you want a good coefficient, put in a scale model in a wind tunnel

What is drag and why is it important in calculations?

Drag is the force that resists motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is important in calculations because it affects the speed and efficiency of an object's movement.

What is the difference between total drag and parasitic drag?

Total drag is the sum of all forces acting on an object in a fluid, including both parasitic drag and induced drag. Parasitic drag is caused by the friction and pressure of the fluid passing over the surface of an object.

How is total drag calculated?

Total drag is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the density of the fluid, the object's velocity, its cross-sectional area, and its drag coefficient. The equation is: D = 1/2 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A.

What factors affect the total drag of an object?

The total drag of an object is affected by its shape, size, speed, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through. The surface roughness and presence of any external objects can also impact the total drag.

How can total drag be reduced?

Total drag can be reduced by improving the aerodynamics of an object, such as by streamlining its shape and reducing its cross-sectional area. Additionally, using smoother surfaces and reducing the viscosity of the fluid can also help to reduce total drag.