Finding kilowatt hours from parallel capacitors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cost to charge a bank of parallel capacitors to a certain voltage, given a unit cost in kilowatt hours. The formula for calculating the energy stored in a capacitor is suggested, and the conversation continues to discuss the units for energy.
CIERAcyanide
Please Help! Finding kilowatt hours from parallel capacitors

Homework Statement

A parallel-connected bank of 5.00 µF capacitors is used to store electric energy. What does it cost to charge the 2900 capacitors of the bank to 45,000 V, assuming a unit cost of $0.03 per kW·h?

Homework Equations

CV = Q
1 Joule = 2.77E-7 kWh
1 Volt = 1 Joule per Coulomb

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to convert from Volts to Joules and then to kilowatt hours. I tried CV=Q to find the Coulombs, from where I wanted to find the number of Joules. If my thinking is correct, the 45,000 Volts means there are 45,000 Joules per Coulomb. When i multiplied 5E-6 times 45,000 to find Q my result was that the charge was only .225 C for one capacitor, which seems low. I'm not sure where to go from here, and I'm very unsure of how to convert from Volts to Joules to Kilowatt hours. I know at the end I need to remember to multiply my final result by 2900 for the number of capacitors. I also don't know how the fact they're connected by parallel plays into this.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you familiar with the formula E=1/2CV^2 or E=Q^2/2C? Those are the formulas for the energy stored in a capacitor.

Okay, i'll try that and see if i can work out the right answer

Last edited:

The units for E is in joules correct?

That depends on what you use for C, V, and Q. If you use standard SI units, E will come out in joules.

1. How do you find the total kilowatt hours from parallel capacitors?

To find the total kilowatt hours from parallel capacitors, you will need to calculate the total capacitance of the circuit by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor. Then, multiply the total capacitance by the square of the voltage and divide by 2,000 to get the total kilowatt hours.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance of parallel capacitors?

The formula for calculating the total capacitance of parallel capacitors is C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of each capacitor.

3. Can you explain the concept of parallel capacitors in simple terms?

In a parallel circuit, the capacitors are connected side by side, allowing the same voltage to be applied to each capacitor. This results in an increase in the total capacitance of the circuit, as the individual capacitances add up.

4. How does voltage affect the calculation of kilowatt hours for parallel capacitors?

Voltage plays a crucial role in the calculation of kilowatt hours for parallel capacitors. The higher the voltage, the more energy is stored in the capacitors, resulting in a higher total kilowatt hours. This is because voltage is directly proportional to the square of the capacitance.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding kilowatt hours in parallel capacitors?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the formula for finding kilowatt hours in parallel capacitors. The formula assumes that the capacitors are ideal, with no internal resistance. In reality, capacitors do have some internal resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the formula only applies to steady state circuits and does not take into account any fluctuations in voltage or capacitance.