Capacitors in Series and Parallel

In summary: Corrected equation for the series equivalent of capacitors is 1/Ct = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... In summary, the figure shows a circuit with a 12.0 V battery and four uncharged capacitors of capacitances C1 = 1.00 µF, C2 = 2.00 µF, C3 = 3.00 µF, and C4 = 4.00 µF. If only switch S1 is closed, the charge on capacitor 1 is 1.9 µC, capacitor 2 is 0.95 µC, capacitor 3 is 0.63 µC, and capacitor 4 is 0.48 µC
waitforit

Homework Statement

Fig. 25-39 shows a 12.0 V battery and four uncharged capacitors of capacitances C1 = 1.00 µF, C2 = 2.00 µF, C3 = 3.00 µF, and C4 = 4.00 µF. If only switch S1 is closed, what is the charge on (a) capacitor 1, (b) capacitor 2, (c) capacitor 3, and (d) capacitor 4? (figure at http://imgur.com/xOR2AU4)

xOR2AU4.png
[edit: Image inserted by moderator]

Homework Equations

q=CV
V is same for capacitors in parallel, P is same for capacitors in series

The Attempt at a Solution

a) C1 and C2 are parallel, as are C3 and C4.
Ct (capacitance of total) = 1/(C1+C2) + 1/(C3+C4) = 0.48
Q = (Ct*Vt) = 0.48*12 = 5.71 µC

Q1+Q2 = 5.71 (because both come from positive end of battery)
Q1/C1=Q2/C2
Q1/(1µF) = 2Q1/(2µF)
3Q1 = 5.71µC
Q1 = 1.9 µC

The correct answer is 9 µC, and I think I went wrong with the calculation of the initial capacitance, but I'm really not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
waitforit said:

Homework Statement

Fig. 25-39 shows a 12.0 V battery and four uncharged capacitors of capacitances C1 = 1.00 µF, C2 = 2.00 µF, C3 = 3.00 µF, and C4 = 4.00 µF. If only switch S1 is closed, what is the charge on (a) capacitor 1, (b) capacitor 2, (c) capacitor 3, and (d) capacitor 4? (figure at http://imgur.com/xOR2AU4)

Homework Equations

q=CV
V is same for capacitors in parallel, P is same for capacitors in series

The Attempt at a Solution

a) C1 and C2 are parallel, as are C3 and C4. [/B]
Ct (capacitance of total) = 1/(C1+C2) + 1/(C3+C4) = 0.48
Q = (Ct*Vt) = 0.48*12 = 5.71 µC

Q1+Q2 = 5.71 (because both come from positive end of battery)
Q1/C1=Q2/C2
Q1/(1µF) = 2Q1/(2µF)
3Q1 = 5.71µC
Q1 = 1.9 µC

The correct answer is 9 µC, and I think I went wrong with the calculation of the initial capacitance, but I'm really not sure.
Only switch 1 is closed. C1 and C2 are not parallel, neither are C3 and C4.
Also, you used wrong formula for the series equivalent of capacitors.

What is the difference between capacitors in series and parallel?

Capacitors in series have a combined capacitance that is less than any of the individual capacitors, while capacitors in parallel have a combined capacitance that is greater than any of the individual capacitors.

How do you calculate the combined capacitance of capacitors in series?

To calculate the combined capacitance of capacitors in series, use the formula 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... where C is the combined capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances.

How do you calculate the combined capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

To calculate the combined capacitance of capacitors in parallel, simply add the individual capacitances together.

What happens to the voltage across each capacitor in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage across each capacitor is the same. This is because the total voltage of the circuit is divided among each capacitor.

How does the total energy stored in capacitors change in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the total energy stored in capacitors decreases compared to the individual capacitors. In a parallel circuit, the total energy stored in capacitors increases compared to the individual capacitors.