Chaos theory and psychology?

by john.mg
Tags: chaos, psychology, theory
john.mg
Mar28-10, 03:54 AM
P: 3
Does the following statement make sense:

The Chaos theory models systems (e.g., gases, fluids, sound, populations, whether, solar system) which particles (e.g., atoms, waves, specimens, currents, planets) shift from entropy to harmony following certain laws (e.g, thermodynamic, mass, space, time, energy, gravity). However, although a human being is a systems, making use of Chaos theory in the psychological arena, it is not clear what are the elements entering in chaos nor the laws they ought to follow. Would the particles be neurons, hormones, ideas, or emotions?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Jackadsa
Mar28-10, 07:44 AM
P: 8
No it doesn't.
john.mg
Mar28-10, 08:34 AM
Quote Quote by Jackadsa View Post
No it doesn't.
Would you elaborate? please.

DaleSpam
Mar28-10, 09:02 AM
Mentor
P: 16,485

Chaos theory and psychology?

I agree with Jackadsa. Your description of chaos doesn't make sense nor does its application to psychology. Specifically, you would need to define "what are the elements entering in chaos [and] the laws they ought to follow" before you can make the claim that "a human being is a systems, making use of Chaos theory in the psychological arena".
john.mg
Mar28-10, 11:03 AM
Thank you for pointing to the misunderstanding of Chaos theory. As for its application to psychology, I question Chaos theory as a viable framework. I agree that a human being is a system. However, I do not think Chaos theory can model the behavior of a human being. The initial quote seemed to suggest that and I am looking to find clarification on this possibility from someone knowledgeable on Chaos theory.
Thanks again DaleSpam.

Register to reply