Register to reply

About how to prevent being struck by lightning

by kuengb
Tags: lightning, prevent, struck
Share this thread:
kuengb
Aug11-04, 11:37 AM
P: 117
They say if you're in a thunderstorm and you have no other place to go, you should search a hollow, crouch and hold your feet close together. The hollow thing and the crouching thing are easy to understand, but what's the reason for putting your feet together?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
pervect
Aug11-04, 12:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
P: 7,634
If lightning strikes near you, the ground itself will have current flowing through it, so there will be a voltage difference between any two different points on the ground. If you keep your feet close together, you minimize the voltage difference between your feet, which minimizes the current flow thorugh your legs.
selfAdjoint
Aug11-04, 02:42 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
And if you can stand to lie down on the wet surface, you will maximize your area in contact with the ground. This should minimize your exposure to lightning, but nothing can absolutely eliminate it.

jcsd
Aug11-04, 03:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
About how to prevent being struck by lightning

The usual advice is don't be the tallest thing around and don't stand near the tallest thing around. One of the safest places to be is actually inside of a car.
michelle s
Aug11-04, 03:14 PM
P: 19
Do not stand near other people. 15 feet apart should be the minimum.
Gonzolo
Aug11-04, 09:20 PM
P: n/a
And do not play golf.
Gza
Aug12-04, 01:54 AM
P: 525
And do not play golf.
Period.

It's all about Football and Basketball. (which also wouldn't be very smart to be playing outdoors in the middle of a lightning storm.)
kuengb
Aug12-04, 03:48 AM
Quote Quote by pervect
If lightning strikes near you, the ground itself will have current flowing through it, so there will be a voltage difference between any two different points on the ground. If you keep your feet close together, you minimize the voltage difference between your feet, which minimizes the current flow thorugh your legs.
Yes, that sounds logical.

I wondered about it because a few days ago I almost got into such an uncomfortable situation. I was climbing on a mountain top when I heared thunder from far away, and the "top" actually was a big rubble waste dump, no big rock or anything around. So, whatever I would have done I would have been the tallest thing around, except of course for the cast iron summit cross
Luckily, the thunderstorm didn't reach us, it only started to rain a bit.
Zorodius
Aug16-04, 10:51 PM
P: 184
Quote Quote by Gza
It's all about Football and Basketball. (which also wouldn't be very smart to be playing outdoors in the middle of a lightning storm.)
Better than pole vaulting, at least.
zynko
Aug22-04, 01:10 AM
P: 14
I heard one of the best things is a faraday cage. like a resourceful one such as a car. go in one of those.
Loren Booda
Aug22-04, 01:19 AM
P: 3,408
The lightning will still strike the car, but will likely pass around the occupants to ground via the car's exterior, as long as they refrain from nearing the sheet metal skin.
GOD__AM
Aug22-04, 07:50 AM
P: 207
Quote Quote by kuengb
Yes, that sounds logical.

Luckily, the thunderstorm didn't reach us, it only started to rain a bit.
The storm doesn't have to reach you for the risk of lightning strike to be a real threat. I live in Florida and see a lot of lightning, and even know a few people that have been hit. Many times people are struck from the leading edge of the storm even when it seems miles away.
kuengb
Aug22-04, 08:35 AM
Quote Quote by GOD__AM
The storm doesn't have to reach you for the risk of lightning strike to be a real threat. I live in Florida and see a lot of lightning, and even know a few people that have been hit. Many times people are struck from the leading edge of the storm even when it seems miles away.

Good to know

But the best way to protect yourself is and will ever be: Don't blaspheme

HallsofIvy
Aug22-04, 10:39 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
Quote Quote by Loren Booda
The lightning will still strike the car, but will likely pass around the occupants to ground via the car's exterior, as long as they refrain from nearing the sheet metal skin.
No, the main point about an automobile is that it is sitting on rubber tires which are insulators- lightning can't get from the car to the ground and so wont strike the car.

By the way, sitting in a SMALL hollow or in a SHALLOW cave, is not a good idea. Lightning, running along the surface of the ground can jump small distances, possibly passing through a person. Also, if you are in contact with the ground, you can be hit. Backpackers often take off their back packs and sit ON them during a thunderstorm.
Gonzolo
Aug22-04, 11:44 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
No, the main point about an automobile is that it is sitting on rubber tires which are insulators- lightning can't get from the car to the ground and so wont strike the car.

By the way, sitting in a SMALL hollow or in a SHALLOW cave, is not a good idea. Lightning, running along the surface of the ground can jump small distances, possibly passing through a person. Also, if you are in contact with the ground, you can be hit. Backpackers often take off their back packs and sit ON them during a thunderstorm.
Backpacks don't seem to be much thicker than shoe soles from the lightning's point of view.
Loren Booda
Aug22-04, 05:35 PM
P: 3,408
HallsofIvy,

I have heard that car tires themselves insulating one substantially from lightning is a fallacy. Lightning, about 100,000,000 volts of it, travels through air, a pretty good insulator, often more than a mile to the ground. How can 6" of tire compare?
Gonzolo
Aug24-04, 03:14 PM
I think I would feel safer in a grounded car, rather than sitting on a tire, if I was stuck in a storm. The E field in hollow metal is 0 after all.
TheChancellor
Oct21-06, 03:13 PM
P: 1
No, I'm pretty sure its not the tires that save you, but rather by nature of being in the "faraday cage" shields the interior because of the high potential discharge that affects the exterior.

Your chances of getting struck increase, but so does the probability that you live.

Register to reply