Frequency Components of a Lightning Strike

In summary, the educator at the physics demonstration argued that the reason a person can safely sit in a Faraday cage during a lightning strike is due to the skin effect, which describes the tendency of alternating currents to flow close to the surface of conducting wires. However, it is also possible that the static, DC effect of charges rearranging on the surface of a conductor plays a role. To determine which effect is dominant, the frequency spectrum of the current waveform of a lightning bolt is needed. Witnesses have reported that lightning has a fast rise time of 25 microseconds and a slow decay over a fraction of a second, with multiple discharges occurring over a second or two. The skin effect may be important for protecting against lightning with a high frequency component
dreens
Hi there,

I recently attended a physics demonstration (Lightning show at Boston Museum of Science, my favorite exhibit obviously), where the educator argued that the reason she could safely sit in a Faraday Cage while lightning was striking said cage was the skin effect.

As I understand it, the skin effect describes the tendency of alternating currents to flow close to the surface of conducting wires, whereas the reason one is kept safe in a Faraday cage is more a static, DC effect where charges rearrange on the surface of a conductor so as to cancel the field within.

Of course, a cage being struck by lightning is certainly not a time independent phenomenon. It could be that static charge rearrangement and the skin effect both play a role- the former before the bolt while the field is building up, and the latter while the bolt is ramping up creating a large time-varying B-field.

In order to decide which effect is dominant, or whether both are important, I would like to know the frequency spectrum of the current waveform describing a lightning bolt. In other words, if you plotted current over time, you would find an initially small, corona based current caused by slow electron transfer to air near the surface of the faraday charge and the voltage source (van-de-graff generator in this case). Then, during the bolt, the current would be large. At some point, enough current has flowed that the voltage no longer sustains the plasma, and the current drops down to zero.

So the current waveform should look roughly like a square-wave. What I want to know is what frequency (or time constant) characterizes how sharp the rising and falling edges of the square wave are, how wide the square wave is, how square-like it is, etc.

As for width of the square wave, maybe someone knows how long a lightning bolt usually lasts? Maybe 100ms or so?

As for the rise time, maybe someone knows how quickly lightning travels? I think I've seen slow motion video of lightning bolts "moving" from ground to cloud, if I knew how quickly they move it should roughly answer the question of how quickly the current ramps up.

Thanks,
Dave

Science news on Phys.org
dreens said:
Hi there,

I recently attended a physics demonstration (Lightning show at Boston Museum of Science, my favorite exhibit obviously), where the educator argued that the reason she could safely sit in a Faraday Cage while lightning was striking said cage was the skin effect.

As I understand it, the skin effect describes the tendency of alternating currents to flow close to the surface of conducting wires, whereas the reason one is kept safe in a Faraday cage is more a static, DC effect where charges rearrange on the surface of a conductor so as to cancel the field within.

Of course, a cage being struck by lightning is certainly not a time independent phenomenon. It could be that static charge rearrangement and the skin effect both play a role- the former before the bolt while the field is building up, and the latter while the bolt is ramping up creating a large time-varying B-field.

In order to decide which effect is dominant, or whether both are important, I would like to know the frequency spectrum of the current waveform describing a lightning bolt. In other words, if you plotted current over time, you would find an initially small, corona based current caused by slow electron transfer to air near the surface of the faraday charge and the voltage source (van-de-graff generator in this case). Then, during the bolt, the current would be large. At some point, enough current has flowed that the voltage no longer sustains the plasma, and the current drops down to zero.

So the current waveform should look roughly like a square-wave. What I want to know is what frequency (or time constant) characterizes how sharp the rising and falling edges of the square wave are, how wide the square wave is, how square-like it is, etc.

As for width of the square wave, maybe someone knows how long a lightning bolt usually lasts? Maybe 100ms or so?

As for the rise time, maybe someone knows how quickly lightning travels? I think I've seen slow motion video of lightning bolts "moving" from ground to cloud, if I knew how quickly they move it should roughly answer the question of how quickly the current ramps up.

Thanks,
Dave
I believe the lightning has a fast rise time of 25 microseconds or so, corresponding to about 10 kHz, and then a slow decay over a fraction of a second. Sometimes there are multiple discharges over a second or two.
Regarding the speed of propagation, witnesses say things such as "the lighting hit the pole and then traveled down it, and then jumped to the tree". So one actually wonders if the discharge grows along the path fairly slowly - an ionisation process occurring - and the big current surge then follows, as you describe.
The skin effect seems important as the discharge has an AC component, so a minimum depth of conductor is needed. With very low frequencies, there is a problem obtaining magnetic shielding by using a conducting cage (similar to the problem of sending video over coaxial cable).
I experienced a small spark from my umbrella shaft to my hand when crossing London Bridge, caused by a strike to the next bridge about 500m away. I estimated the voltage and then calculated the "antenna current" in the lightning, and it came out to 10kA, which is quite plausible!

Hey, thanks tech. That's a really neat experience with the umbrella giving you a shock!

I guess with a 10kHz component the skin depth would be half a millimeter or so, and the Faraday cage at the museum had ~cm thick bars, definitely enough so that the skin effect is protective at that frequency.

In fact, now that I think about it the bolts in the museum seemed much less long lived than those in actual cloud to ground lightning, suggesting that the skin effect may be more important than the DC faraday cage effect in that situation.

1. What are the different frequency components of a lightning strike?

The frequency components of a lightning strike can be divided into three main categories: radio frequency (RF), audio frequency (AF), and direct current (DC). RF frequencies range from 3 kHz to 300 GHz, AF frequencies range from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and DC frequencies are below 20 Hz.

2. How does the frequency of a lightning strike affect its power and damage?

The frequency of a lightning strike does not necessarily affect its power or damage. The power and damage of a lightning strike depends on other factors such as the current, voltage, and duration of the strike.

3. Can lightning strikes produce ultrasonic frequencies?

Yes, lightning strikes can produce ultrasonic frequencies, which are above the range of human hearing (20 kHz to 300 GHz). These frequencies are often used in lightning detection technology.

4. How do scientists measure the frequency components of a lightning strike?

Scientists use various instruments such as radio receivers, oscilloscopes, and magnetic field sensors to measure the frequency components of a lightning strike. These instruments can detect the RF, AF, and DC frequencies produced by a strike.

5. Are there any health risks associated with the frequency components of a lightning strike?

There are no known health risks associated with the frequency components of a lightning strike. However, direct contact with lightning or its electrical discharge can be extremely dangerous and potentially fatal.