14-N (n,p) 14-C Reaction

by cajunjacket
Tags: reaction
cajunjacket
Apr12-10, 02:40 PM
P: 2
I feel like a fraud. I learned neutron kinematics many years ago, yet I don't even know how to determine the Average energy of each particle being emitted from a basic nuclear reactions such as the one in the subject line.

What am I trying to calculate?

The average energy of a particle leaving a reaction such as the one above, i.e. not an elastic or inelastic reaction. A reaction involving a Q-value.

In particular, I want to calculate the average energy for a given incoming neutron energy. The test case I am using as a sanity check is a 20 MeV neutron striking 14N, producing a proton and 14C. The Q-value for this reaction is 625.8706 keV. The average energy of the exiting proton is supposed to be 3.974 MeV.

I have attempted to calculate the average energy, but I keep getting 17.9874 MeV using the methods presented in: http://www.wepapers.com/Papers/3834/...tic_Scattering, yet I did not consider relativistic effects. Regardless the relativistic effects shouldn't be a factor 4 difference in this case because of the relatively low kinetic energy compared with the rest mass of a neutron.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser

Register to reply