Lead/Lag compensator - lead and lag time to pole and zero locations

by adamkse
Tags: compensator, control, lag, lead, time
Share this thread:
adamkse
Apr13-10, 08:46 AM
P: 4
Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding how to convert pole and zero locations of a lead lag compensator into lead and lag time and vise versa.

I have a digital lead and lag compensator which requests: gain, lead time (min) and lag time (min). However i have the gain zeros and poles of the compensator.

If someone can tell me how to do this i would be most grateful.

Adam
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
berkeman
Apr13-10, 07:08 PM
Mentor
P: 41,353
Quote Quote by adamkse View Post
Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding how to convert pole and zero locations of a lead lag compensator into lead and lag time and vise versa.

I have a digital lead and lag compensator which requests: gain, lead time (min) and lag time (min). However i have the gain zeros and poles of the compensator.

If someone can tell me how to do this i would be most grateful.

Adam
Given the DC gain and poles and zeros of the transfer function, you should be able to make a Bode Plot that will show you your gain and phase margin. A pole gives you lead, and a zero gives you lag. You can adjust the position of the poles and zeros to ensure that you have adequate phase margin to ensure stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

Although I notice that the concept of lead-lag compensation may be treated a bit differently in control theory, compared to the circuit design context that I'm familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-lag_compensator

Hope that helps.
adamkse
Apr14-10, 02:47 AM
P: 4
yes i know that you can draw a bode plot from it to get the phase and gain margins but my specs are in the time domain so I have it in transfer function form like K.(s+zd)(s+zg)/(s+pd)(s+pg) where d is for lead and g is for lag. I don't understand how I can get this lag or lead time from either the bode plot or the root locus.

Register to reply