Register to reply

Intensity of light with given power through a polarizer

by Linus Pauling
Tags: intensity, light, polarizer, power
Share this thread:
Linus Pauling
Apr14-10, 10:28 PM
P: 190
1. A 200 mW horizontally polarized laser beam passes through a polarizing filter whose axis is 25 degrees from vertical.

2. Malus's Law

3. Ok, so I will use theta = 65 degrees in the I = I0cos(theta) equation, right? But how do I calculate I0 knowing only power and not area?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
ehild
Apr15-10, 12:29 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,634
How is the intensity of light defined? And what does Malus's Law say? The equation you use is wrong.

ehild
Linus Pauling
Apr15-10, 08:03 PM
P: 190
I = P/A = 0.5c*ep0*E2

And Malus's law states that the intensity of the light transmitted is the product of the intensity of the incident light and the square of the cosine of the angle theta with respect to the polarizer's axis. I don't get what you're getting at....

In terms of the theta I use, this is how I am thinking about it: I would use 25 degrees if the incident light was vertically polarized. Since it is horizontally polarized, i.e. is at 90 degrees, I should use 90-25 = 65 degrees...

ehild
Apr15-10, 11:41 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,634
Intensity of light with given power through a polarizer

It is all right if you use the square of the cosine, but you wrote I=Io*cos(theta) in the previous post.
As for intensity, it is power/area. The incident power of the laser beam is given and the area is the same before and after crossing the polarizer. You did not write what is the question, but presumably it is the power of the laser beam after the polarizer.

ehild

Register to reply