The intentsity out of two polarizers

In summary: Maybe close but still incorrect. Look at it this way: after the first polarizer, the intensity is I1 = I0cos2θ. After the second polarizer, I2 should be less than I1, but not zero because the second polarizer is not at 90o w.r.t. to the first. None of the 4 answers fit these constraints.
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

A vertically polarized light of intensity ##I_0## is incident on a polarizer whose axis makes an angle ##\theta## to the vertical. The light then passes through another polarizer whose axis make 60 seg to that of the first one. The net intensity of the output light in relation to incident intensity is
a) ##I_0 \cos^2\theta##
b) ##2I_0 \cos^2\theta##
c) ##3/2I_0 \cos^2\theta##
d) 0

Homework Equations

##I =I_0 \cos^2\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

This was supposed to be an easy one but I don't get any of the answers given in the options and I am totally confused about where I made the mistake. so this is how I did:
through the first polarizer ##I_1 = I_0 \cos^2\theta##
through the second one ##I_2 = I_0 \cos^2\theta \cos^2(60)## the question says the axis of the second one is at 60 deg to that of first one hence the light coming from the first must also make an angle at 60 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The output intensity should be as you say with ##\cos^2(60^o) = \frac{1}{4}##.

Then the questioner probably meant that the axis of the second polarizer is at 60 degrees to the vertical which would give an angle of 30 deg between the light and the axis of the second polarizer which in turn will give the answer ##3/2 I_0 \cos^2\theta##. option c.

It is risky to try and read the minds of questioners. Besides, ##\cos^2(30^o) = \frac{3}{4}##, not ##\frac{3}{2}##.

kuruman said:
It is risky to try and read the minds of questioners. Besides, ##\cos^2(30^o) = \frac{3}{4}##, not ##\frac{3}{2}##.
Oh yes it is 3/4 but the answer is still close to option c. It made me much frustrated to see I didn't get anyone of the answers and consumed lot of my time going through all the relevant concepts and examples to find out where I have gone wrong! Thank you anyway!

Rahulrj said:
Oh yes it is 3/4 but the answer is still close to option c.
Maybe close but still incorrect. Look at it this way: after the first polarizer, the intensity is I1 = I0cos2θ. After the second polarizer, I2 should be less than I1, but not zero because the second polarizer is not at 90o w.r.t. to the first. None of the 4 answers fit these constraints.

1. What is the intensity out of two polarizers?

The intensity out of two polarizers refers to the amount of light that passes through two polarizing filters that are oriented at specific angles to each other. The intensity is affected by the polarization angle and the properties of the polarizers themselves.

2. How is the intensity out of two polarizers calculated?

The intensity out of two polarizers can be calculated using Malus's law, which states that the intensity of light passing through two polarizers is equal to the initial intensity multiplied by the cosine squared of the angle between the polarizers.

3. What factors affect the intensity out of two polarizers?

The intensity out of two polarizers can be affected by the angle between the polarizers, the properties of the polarizers (such as their transmission coefficients), and the initial intensity of the light passing through them. Other factors such as the wavelength of the light and the material of the polarizers can also have an impact.

4. Why is the intensity out of two polarizers important in scientific research?

Understanding the intensity out of two polarizers is important in scientific research because it allows us to control and manipulate the amount of light passing through polarizers. This can be useful in experiments involving light, such as in optics and spectroscopy.

5. How does the intensity out of two polarizers relate to the concept of polarization?

The intensity out of two polarizers is directly related to the concept of polarization, as polarizers are specifically designed to block or transmit light waves based on their orientation. The intensity out of two polarizers can be used to demonstrate and explain the principles of polarization in physics.