Partial Sums

by brusier
Tags: partial, sums
Share this thread:
brusier
Apr19-10, 10:28 AM
P: 27
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let an (read 'a sub n') be the nth digit after the decimal point in 2pi+2e. Evaluate

SUM (n=1 to inf) an(.1)^n

(here, again, an is meant to be 'a sub n')

2. Relevant equations

As far as I can see, this is a partial sum of a geometric series. To find the nth partial sum (or, in other words the infinite sum) use a/(1-r) where a is the first term of the series (scalar multiple) and r is the ratio of the exponent of the general form for geo series: ar^n

3. The attempt at a solution
My attempt gave back to sn=1/9

I used: .1/1-.1
I guess I'm thinking about this incorrectly
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
ystael
Apr19-10, 11:21 AM
P: 352
Rather than applying formulas, you need to stop and think for a second.

What does it mean that [tex]a_n[/tex] is the [tex]n[/tex]th digit after the decimal point in the decimal expansion of [tex]2\pi + 2e[/tex] ? What is a decimal expansion?

What is [tex]1 \cdot (0.1)^1 + 4 \cdot (0.1)^2 + 1 \cdot (0.1)^3 + 5 \cdot (0.1)^4 + 9 \cdot (0.1)^5[/tex]?
brusier
Apr19-10, 12:17 PM
P: 27
A decimal expansion is the division of a rational expression p/q.
To be an nth digit after the decimal point means that the rational expression, when divided will not have a finite number of decimal places.

s

ystael
Apr19-10, 12:41 PM
P: 352
Partial Sums

You need to think about the relationship between the digits of the decimal expansion and the number which is represented by the decimal expansion. This relationship can be expressed as an equation.

Register to reply