Evaluating Infinite Geometric Series: a sub n (0.1)^n

In summary, the problem is asking us to evaluate the infinite sum of the nth digit after the decimal point in the decimal expansion of 2π+2e, where n is raised to the power of .1. This can be solved by finding the partial sum of a geometric series, which can be calculated using the formula a/(1-r). However, instead of using formulas, we need to think about the relationship between the digits of the decimal expansion and the number it represents, and express it as an equation.
brusier

Homework Statement

Let an (read 'a sub n') be the nth digit after the decimal point in 2pi+2e. Evaluate

SUM (n=1 to inf) an(.1)^n

(here, again, an is meant to be 'a sub n')

Homework Equations

As far as I can see, this is a partial sum of a geometric series. To find the nth partial sum (or, in other words the infinite sum) use a/(1-r) where a is the first term of the series (scalar multiple) and r is the ratio of the exponent of the general form for geo series: ar^n

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt gave back to sn=1/9

I used: .1/1-.1
I guess I'm thinking about this incorrectly

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than applying formulas, you need to stop and think for a second.

What does it mean that [tex]a_n[/tex] is the [tex]n[/tex]th digit after the decimal point in the decimal expansion of [tex]2\pi + 2e[/tex] ? What is a decimal expansion?

What is [tex]1 \cdot (0.1)^1 + 4 \cdot (0.1)^2 + 1 \cdot (0.1)^3 + 5 \cdot (0.1)^4 + 9 \cdot (0.1)^5[/tex]?

A decimal expansion is the division of a rational expression p/q.
To be an nth digit after the decimal point means that the rational expression, when divided will not have a finite number of decimal places.

s

You need to think about the relationship between the digits of the decimal expansion and the number which is represented by the decimal expansion. This relationship can be expressed as an equation.

1. How do you determine the sum of an infinite geometric series?

In order to determine the sum of an infinite geometric series, you can use the formula S = a / (1 - r), where "a" represents the first term of the series and "r" represents the common ratio between each term.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating an infinite geometric series?

The purpose of evaluating an infinite geometric series is to find the total sum of all the terms in the series, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations and analyses.

3. How do you determine if an infinite geometric series converges or diverges?

An infinite geometric series will converge if the absolute value of the common ratio "r" is less than 1. If the absolute value of "r" is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

4. Can an infinite geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, an infinite geometric series can have a negative common ratio. However, it is important to note that the absolute value of the common ratio must still be less than 1 in order for the series to converge.

5. What is the significance of (0.1)^n in an infinite geometric series?

The term (0.1)^n represents the common ratio between each term in the series. In this case, the common ratio is 0.1, meaning that each term in the series is multiplied by 0.1 to get the next term.