Convergence of the series nx^n

In summary, by finding a closed formula for the nth partial sum ##s_n##, it can be shown that the series ##s=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^n## converges to ##\dfrac{x}{(1-x)^2}## when ##|x|<1## and diverges otherwise. This can be done by considering the expression ##s_n+1=\dfrac{1-(\sqrt[n]{n}x)^{n+1}}{1-\sqrt[n]{n}x}## for the n'th partial sum and using the known formula for the sum of a geometric series. Additionally, taking the derivative of both sides of the equation ##\
Felipe Lincoln
Gold Member

Homework Statement

By finding a closed formula for the nth partial sum ##s_n##,
show that the series ## s=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^n## converges to ##\dfrac{x}{(1-x)^2}## when ##|x|<1## and diverges otherwise.

Homework Equations

Maybe ##s=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\dfrac{1}{1-x}## when ##|x|<1##

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the ##s_n##
##s_n + 1=1 + \sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}(\sqrt[k]{k}x)^k = 1 + x + 2x^2 + 3x^3 + \dots +nx^n= \dfrac{1-(\sqrt[n]{n}x)^{n+1}}{1-\sqrt[n]{n}x}##
but I don't know if I can get anywhere from here, tried several ways and had no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the n'th partial sum of the power series,
##\sum_{i=1} ^{i=n-1} x^i = \frac {(1-x^n)}{(1-x)}##
, can you take the derivative of both sides and use that?

Likes Felipe Lincoln
FactChecker said:
If you know the n'th partial sum of the power series,
##\sum_{i=1} ^{i=n-1} x^i = \frac {(1-x^n)}{(1-x)}##
, can you take the derivative of both sides and use that?
I would never think of that! I'll try

EDIT: I got it, thank you so much!

Last edited:

What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a sequence of terms that are added together in order to form the sum of the series. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by using various tests, such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and determining whether they approach a finite value or not.

What is the significance of the exponent in the series nx^n?

The exponent in the series nx^n plays a crucial role in determining whether the series converges or diverges. The value of the exponent can affect the behavior of the terms in the series and determine whether the series approaches a finite value or not.

Under what conditions does the series nx^n converge?

The series nx^n converges when the absolute value of the common ratio (x) is less than 1. This condition is known as the convergence condition and is necessary for the series to approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

What is the limit of the series nx^n?

The limit of the series nx^n is zero when the absolute value of the common ratio (x) is less than 1. This means that as the number of terms in the series increases, the sum of the terms approaches zero, indicating convergence of the series.