Quick question about surfactant?

by sameeralord
Tags: surfactant
Share this thread:
sameeralord
Apr22-10, 11:33 PM
P: 640
Hello everyone,

Ok I know surfactant has a polar and non polar group and then go to the surface and break the bonds. My question is the surfactant would still arrange itself like this picture, meaning surfactant and surfactant would have strong bonds at the surface. So how does this reduce surface tension, is surfactant surfactant bond less strong than eg water water bond here? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
alxm
Apr23-10, 03:45 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,866
is surfactant surfactant bond less strong than eg water water bond here?
Simple answer: Yes.
Better answer: Not on a molecule-by-molecule basis. But the surfactant molecule is big, so it displaces quite a few water molecules at the surface. The surfactant-surfactant bonding is weaker than the combined hydrogen bonding of all those waters it displaced.
sameeralord
Apr26-10, 04:09 AM
P: 640
Quote Quote by alxm View Post
Simple answer: Yes.
Better answer: Not on a molecule-by-molecule basis. But the surfactant molecule is big, so it displaces quite a few water molecules at the surface. The surfactant-surfactant bonding is weaker than the combined hydrogen bonding of all those waters it displaced.
Thanks alxm I didn't think this topic would be answered.

Register to reply