One equals minus one?

by olek1991
Tags: equals, minus
olek1991
Apr26-10, 02:56 PM
P: 17
I think that I have proof of 1 being -1 and I can't find any flaw in it.
Could you please take a look?

-1=i =>
(-1)=(i) =>
1 = i^4 => take the square root both sides
1 = i

i = -1 v i = 1

Thus proving
1 = -1
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Cyosis
Apr26-10, 03:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,495
To confuse you a little more can you find the mistake: [itex]2=\sqrt{4}=\sqrt{(-2)^2}=-2[/itex].
olek1991
Apr26-10, 03:07 PM
Yea I know those too xD
Does that mean that it is correct? (but just not used since it's crazy)

Edit: the √(-2) is not -2, but 2 btw :P
You probably meant (-2) = √4 = 2

Cyosis
Apr26-10, 03:41 PM
HW Helper

One equals minus one?

No I meant exactly what I wrote, the root cancelling the square. We can't do this because we have defined taking the square root of a real number to be a positive value. This is called the principal square root. For the complex numbers this principal root is defined as [itex]\sqrt{z}=\sqrt{|z|}e^{i \pi/2}[/itex]. In general for complex numbers it is not even true that [itex]\sqrt{zw}=\sqrt{z}\sqrt{w}[/itex].
Gigasoft
Apr26-10, 03:49 PM
P: 59
[tex]a^{bc}=\left(a^b\right)^c[/tex] is not generally true. For example [tex]\left(\left(-1\right)^2\right)^{\frac 1 2}\neq-1[/tex]. You should be careful with this rule when the base is not a positive real number and the exponent is not an integer.
olek1991
Apr26-10, 03:51 PM
Quote Quote by Cyosis View Post
No I meant exactly what I wrote, the root cancelling the square. We can't do this because we have defined taking the square root of a real number to be a positive value. This is called the principal square root. For the complex numbers this principal root is defined as [itex]\sqrt{z}=\sqrt{|z|}e^{i \pi/2}[/itex]. In general for complex numbers it is not even true that [itex]\sqrt{zw}=\sqrt{z}\sqrt{w}[/itex].
I really don't get that O.o
Could you dumb it down a little? (I'm a collage student)
Cyosis
Apr26-10, 03:59 PM
HW Helper
We can write every complex number z in the form [tex]z=|z|e^{i \theta}[/tex] with |z| the distance between z and the origin and [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle between the x-axis and |z| (polar coordinates). If you have had some complex numbers you should know this representation of a complex number. From this it follows that [itex]i=e^{i \pi/2}[/itex] and [itex]i^4=e^{2 \pi i}[/itex]. Now taking the square root of i^4 we get [tex]\sqrt{i^4}=e^{i \pi}=-1[/tex].
wisvuze
Apr26-10, 04:03 PM
P: 367
Quote Quote by olek1991 View Post
Yea I know those too xD
Does that mean that it is correct? (but just not used since it's crazy)

No that's not what it means, all of our mathematical foundations would be bogus if we ever said "it's true, but it's too crazy.. so it's pretty much false".
Sqrt(x) is a function (input/output relationships are unique), so given a number (perhaps 9), Sqrt(9) will map to 3.. never -3. If Sqrt(9) could be either -3 OR 3, it wouldn't be a function. Even though (-3)^2 = 9 = (3)^2, the root function is defined to take positive values and produce positive values.

This is exactly what you kind of said.. sqrt( (-2)^2 ) is indeed 2 since (-2)^2 gives us 4, and by the definition of the function, we will get the positive possible "root" only.

"You probably meant (-2) = √4 = 2" You probably made some typing mistake here.. (-2)^2 = sqrt(4) = 2^2?? 4 = 2 = 4? I don't know

Register to reply