Register to reply

New google search layout

by Jack21222
Tags: google, layout, search
Share this thread:
Jack21222
May5-10, 08:37 PM
P: 772
What does everybody think of the new Google search results layout?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ts-a-facelift/

It's far too busy and distracting for me. The reason I've been using Google all these years was the simplicity of their search results. How about you guys?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
zomgwtf
May5-10, 08:49 PM
P: 500
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
It's far too busy and distracting for me. The reason I've been using Google all these years was the simplicity of their search results. How about you guys?
Definitely agree with you here... I don't like this new layout at all... It's like they are trying to steal the layout from Bing or whatever.
mgb_phys
May5-10, 08:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache

Jack21222
May5-10, 08:57 PM
New google search layout

Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache
It still takes you to the google results page. You don't need to go to google.com in order to reach the results page.
Evo
May5-10, 09:05 PM
Mentor
P: 26,482
Just another way to expand their marketing.

I don't like it.
Jack21222
May5-10, 09:08 PM
I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.
zomgwtf
May5-10, 09:12 PM
P: 500
Ask Evo, I'm sure she can set it up in this post for you.
TheStatutoryApe
May5-10, 09:16 PM
P: 1,550
I'm not sure what's different about it. Is the change to the iGoogle layout? I couldn't stand iGoogle to begin with.
Evo
May5-10, 09:17 PM
Mentor
P: 26,482
I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.
Tell me what poll options you want.
cronxeh
May5-10, 09:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on
TheStatutoryApe
May5-10, 09:33 PM
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on
I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?
cronxeh
May5-10, 09:37 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?
Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.

BUT fear not, fellow PFers! As was posted on google forums, there is an easy solution to this

http://www.google.com/m

Use Google Mobile!
Jack21222
May5-10, 09:59 PM
Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do
KrisOhn
May5-10, 10:06 PM
P: 269
Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do
Clear your cache and cookies.
rootX
May6-10, 12:49 AM
P: 1,294
The earlier user interface was too good, I guess they decided to screw it.
TheStatutoryApe
May6-10, 02:31 AM
Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.
I did. And didn't see it. Just cleared my cache and everything. Still nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be an empty space on the left. I am unsure if that space was always there.
cronxeh
May6-10, 05:56 AM
PF Gold
Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.
TheStatutoryApe
May6-10, 10:29 AM
Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.
What are you doing using IE? I'm using Firefox and Opera. Doesn't show up on either of them for me.

edit: never mind, I just checked again and it does now.

Register to reply