Exploring the Relationship Between kg wt and Newtons by Dimensional Analysis

• Thread starter sphyics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the relation between 1kgwt and 9.8N, with the conclusion being that 1kgwt is equivalent to 9.8N and is defined as the force needed to make a mass of 1 kg accelerate by 9.80665 m/s2. This is determined through dimensional analysis and cannot be derived mathematically.
sphyics
i know its a unit for force... I'm intrigued by the relation 1kgwt=9.8N?

by dimensional analysis

L.H.s [M2L1T-2 {since wt=kgm/s2}
R.H.S [M1L1T-2
i understand I'm wrong somewhere, but I'm not able to figure it out, so pls help me :)

Also how to get the relation between both.( think 9.8 is the contribution of 'g')

Physics news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
i know its a unit for force... I'm intrigued by the relation 1kgwt=9.8N?

by dimensional analysis

L.H.s [M2L1T-2 {since wt=kgm/s2}

You interpreted kg wt as mass*weight. A kilogram weight is a unit of force. Specifically, it is the force needed to make a mass of 1 kg accelerate by 9.80665 m/s2.

D H said:
You interpreted kg wt as mass*weight. A kilogram weight is a unit of force. Specifically, it is the force needed to make a mass of 1 kg accelerate by 9.80665 m/s2.
yes

and how to get the relation 1kgwt=9.8N mathematically.

You can't derive it. The kilogram-force (sometimes called the kilogram-wt) is defined as the force needed to make a one kilogram of mass accelerate by 9.80665 m/s2.

sphyics said:
how to get the relation 1kgwt=9.8N mathematically.

1 kgwt means the "weight of a mass of 1 kg on earth". So:

W = ma = (1 kg)(9.81 m/s²) = 9.81 N = 1 kgwt

kgwt is an arbitrary defined unit for force, just like 1 lb = 4.448 N

jack action said:
1 kgwt means the "weight of a mass of 1 kg on earth". So:

W = ma = (1 kg)(9.81 m/s²) = 9.81 N = 1 kgwt

kgwt is an arbitrary defined unit for force, just like 1 lb = 4.448 N

Thanks for ur explanation now i understand

1. What is kg wt?

KG wt stands for kilogram weight, which is a unit of measurement for weight in the metric system. It is equal to the weight of one kilogram, which is approximately 2.2 pounds.

2. How is kg wt different from regular kilograms?

While regular kilograms measure the mass of an object, kg wt measures the weight of an object. The weight of an object is affected by gravity, whereas mass remains constant regardless of gravitational pull.

3. How is kg wt used in science?

In scientific experiments and calculations, kg wt is often used to measure the force of an object's weight. It is also commonly used to measure the weight of objects in the study of physics and engineering.

4. Is kg wt an SI unit?

Yes, kg wt is an SI (International System of Units) unit. It is one of the seven base units in the SI system, which is used as a standard for measurements in most countries around the world.

5. How do you convert kg wt to other units of weight?

To convert kg wt to other units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert kg wt to pounds, you would multiply the kg wt by 2.2. To convert kg wt to grams, you would multiply the kg wt by 1000.