Calculating EFL of a Three Lens System

by nek26
Tags: efl, focal length, lens, optics, three lens system
nek26
May11-10, 09:04 AM
P: 1
If I have three lenses, each one 50 mm in diameter and with focal lengths of 500mm, -125mm and 150 mm, What would be the EFL if I combined them all together (assuming zero distance between them).

I have been looking online for focal lengths of three lens systems but cannot find anything. Would I just use the 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2 equation twice and basically turn two of the lenses into one focal length then use that focal length again with the third? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Bob S
May11-10, 10:14 PM
P: 4,664
Here is the general matrix solution to a three lens system with arbitrary drifts between the lenses. A drift of length d is represented by a 2 x 2 matrix

1 d
0 1

and a thin lens is represented by

1 0
k 1

where k=-1/f.

I show the matrix equations, and a solution for three 25-cm FL lenses separated by two 2-cm drifts. For your case with no spacing between the lenses, the focus is 150 cm beyond the last lens. If the spacing between the lenses is 1 cm, the focal length is reduced to 96 cm. If the spacing is 0.1 cm, the focal length is 141.5 cm.

Bob S
Attached Thumbnails
LensSystem1.jpg   LensSystem2.jpg  

Register to reply