Total focal length and magnification

In summary, you want to make an image of a cantilever with dimensions of (450x50) microns, using a self-constructed telephoto lens with a magnification of 4 to 8. The distance between the two lenses and the distance between the CCD-Sensor and the last lens need not be specified.
Aymangh994
I would like to realize an image of the cantilever. The dimensions are (450x50) microns. I would like to use a self-constructed telephoto lens. This consists of two lenses. The image magnification can be 4 to 8. The magnification of the image is nothing more than the ratio between the two focal lengths of the two lenses. E.g. for f1= 320mm f2=40mm the total f= 35.5mm and the imaging magnification is 8 . Since typical focal lenghts of telephoto are over 50mm, I would like to ask if the total focal length matters? I.e. for f1= 800mm and f2=100mm the total focal length is f=88.89 mm but the image magnification remains the same.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Science news on Phys.org
You need to specify more about the set-up. What is "the cantilever"? We need an annotated diagram if you want sensible answers.
Edit: PS I think you are assuming the 'telescope formula' applies but your object distance is not infinite and are you looking at an image or projecting it onto a sensor?

Likes davenn and hutchphd
I would like to ask if the total focal length matters using two different combinations of lenses but the magnification still the same.
Combination 1 : f1= 320mm f2=40mm the total f= 35.5mm and M= 8
Combination 2 : f1= 800mm and f2=100mm the total focal length is f=88.89 mm and M= 8
and how to calculate the working distance ?

Sketch
following questions :
1. should I use the lensmaker's equation to calculate the working distance ? which focal length should I insert in the equation? the total f or f1 ?
2. The distance between the two lenses and the distance between the CCD-Sensor and the last lens ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-24 at 00.34.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-24 at 00.34.23.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
You seem to be using a telescope rather than a microscope. In such a case, the objective lens should be as large as possible to collect maximum light, but may have to be stopped down to reduce distortion. The required magnification is very small - can this be obtained with a single lens?

Likes Aymangh994

1. What is total focal length?

Total focal length refers to the distance from the lens of a camera or microscope to the focal point, where the image is in focus. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and can vary depending on the type of lens or microscope being used.

2. How is total focal length calculated?

Total focal length is calculated by adding the focal lengths of all the lenses in a system. For example, if a camera has a primary lens with a focal length of 50mm and a secondary lens with a focal length of 100mm, the total focal length would be 150mm.

3. What is magnification?

Magnification refers to the degree to which an object appears larger when viewed through a lens or microscope. It is calculated by dividing the size of the image by the size of the object. For example, if an object appears 5 times larger when viewed through a lens, the magnification would be 5x.

4. How is magnification related to total focal length?

Magnification is directly related to total focal length. As the total focal length increases, the magnification also increases. This means that a longer focal length lens or microscope will produce a larger magnified image of an object compared to a shorter focal length lens or microscope.

5. Can total focal length and magnification be adjusted?

Yes, total focal length and magnification can be adjusted by changing the distance between the lens and the focal point, or by using different lenses with varying focal lengths. In a microscope, the magnification can also be adjusted by changing the objective lens or the eyepiece lens.