Register to reply

Star expansion?

by meni ohana
Tags: expansion, space, time
Share this thread:
meni ohana
May19-10, 04:18 PM
P: 65
Hi! my question is, if space expand, how come the stars (and planets) don't? they are part of the space and not "sitting inside" or somthing like that. meaning, the earth should grown bigger all the time.

you can think about marking a dot on a bloon, as you blow air inside the bloon starts to swell and the dot GETTING BIGGER AS WELL.

a related question, that might be answered by answering the last one, is if a star '90 light years' (random) away from earth send it's light rays toward us, and the space is spanding, then the conclusion is - by the time that light get to us, the planet will be maybe 150 light years away!

i need clarification
thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
Next-generation Thirty Meter Telescope begins construction in Hawaii
Comet Jacques makes a 'questionable' appearance
Mu naught
May19-10, 04:32 PM
P: 212
The expansion of the Universe is said to only occur on very very large scales - over galactic distances. As such, you would never be able to sense or measure it on such a small scale as the diameter of a star, or even 90 light years.

Also, just because the distance between two points in space is increasing, I don't think that means that locally an object has to be expanding with the space around it.
mgb_phys
May19-10, 04:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
You can think of the expansion of the universe as a very weak force, individual stars and galaxies are held together by gravity. It's only between very distant galaxies where the gravitational force is very weak that the expansion of the universe is significant.

Register to reply