What Is the Shortcut for Solving Ohm's Law Problems Using P=IE?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a shortcut to solve problems dealing with Ohm's Law. The expert summarizer explains the concept of Ohm's Law and how it can be represented as three equations: V=IR, I=E/R, and R=V/I. They also mention the use of a pyramid to remember the relationships between voltage, current, and resistance. They then go on to explain the use of Watts and how it relates to voltage and current. Finally, they provide a shortcut formula, P=IE, and use it to solve a sample problem involving a 140-w electric blanket connected to a 120-v outlet.
yakabod
What is the shortcut on solving problems that deal with ohms law?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to be more specific.

E
------
I | R

Here is a pyramid so if you want to solve for eg; E = IR. Just cover up what you want to solve for and the remaining letters left are your formulas. Another eg; I = E/R. Is that what you mean, sir? Does that help?
Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok well i have problems here that I am done with already. dealing with the calculating the current.

used these kind of formulas:

resistance = voltage/current

and

current = voltage/resistance

now i was asking if there was easier shortcuts on solving these.

now looking at the last problem i am stuck. instead of asking for ohms or amps it asked find the current of a watt.

Code:
calculate the current in a 140-w electric blanket connected to a 120-v outlet

now my question is how to solve that with a diffrent formula? what formula is this?

Originally posted by yakabod
now i was asking if there was easier shortcuts on solving these.

That's not short enough for you? [?]

calculate the current in a 140-w electric blanket connected to a 120-v outlet

You need to learn basic units, and you need to start reading your book. I am not going to tell you the formula, because that gives away the whole thing. I am going to ask you a couple of questions that will lead you to the answer.

1. What quantity is measured in Watts?
2. Is there a formula in your book that relates the quantity in #1 to current (answer: YES, there is).

Ohm's Law:

The pyramid is "V" on top, with "I" and "R" on the bottom. It can be expressed as three complimentary equations:

1) Voltage = Current * Resistance.

2) Current = Voltage / Resistance.

3) Resistance = Voltage / Current.

Any time you have two of the factors from one side of the equation, you will know the third factor (the other side). In your question "calculate the current in a 140-w electric blanket connected to a 120-v outlet", you have Watts and voltage.

Now you need to figure out what the "Watts" means. Watts is volts*amps. Again, you can draw a pyramid to help remember it all. Put Watts at the top, and across the bottom you have volts and amps (amps being current). Again, this allows three expressions:

1) Watts = Voltage * Current.

2) Current = Watts / Voltage.

3) Voltage = Watts / Current.

Now, Watts is voltage*amps. Since you know the Watts and voltage, you can divide Watts by voltage to get current. 140/120 = 1.15 Amps, roughly.

Now you have two factors necessary for working with Ohm's Law. You have the voltage (120) and the current (1.15).

The short version:

Watts = voltage*amps.

You've got voltage and watts: watts (140) = volts (120) * ?.

So, by re-arranging the factors you can get: ? = watts (140) / voltage (120).

Simply fill in the "?".

Last edited:
remember P=IE, my friend.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between electric current, voltage, and resistance. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. What is a short-cut for Ohm's Law?

A short-cut for Ohm's Law is using the triangle method, also known as the EIR triangle. This method allows you to quickly solve for current, voltage, or resistance by covering up the variable you want to solve for and using the remaining two variables in the formula.

4. How do I use the EIR triangle to solve for current, voltage, or resistance?

To use the EIR triangle, cover up the variable you want to solve for and use the remaining two variables to determine the value. For example, if you want to solve for current, cover up the I in the triangle and use V/R to find the value. If you want to solve for voltage, cover up the V and use I*R, and if you want to solve for resistance, cover up the R and use V/I.

5. Can I use Ohm's Law for any type of circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used for any type of circuit, as long as the circuit follows Ohm's Law principles. This includes circuits with resistors, capacitors, and inductors. However, for more complex circuits, additional laws and principles may need to be applied.