Register to reply

How do they measure the mass of the electron in units of MeV/c*c ?

by what_are_electrons
Tags: electron, mass, measure, mev or cc, units
Share this thread:
what_are_electrons
Aug30-04, 02:38 AM
P: n/a
What is the experimental system used to determine that an electron has a mass of 0.511 MeV/c*c ?

I'd like to learn about methods other than Millikan's oil drop and Thomson's charge/mass ratios. What is the modern way to generate a value with those units?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
arivero
Aug30-04, 04:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,921
You can give some credit to nuclear beta decay.
colinr
Aug30-04, 06:23 AM
P: 29
The units come from the equation E =mc^2

If you re-rewite the equation in terms of units eV = kg c^2 and re-arrange it for mass, you get kg = eV/c^2

and so the numerical value for the mass of the electron is equal to the numerical value of its energy/c^2. So we can give mass in terms of eV/c^2

what_are_electrons
Aug30-04, 10:10 AM
P: n/a
How do they measure the mass of the electron in units of MeV/c*c ?

I understand what you are saying, but I believe that there is some sort of experimental equipment setup that can and has been used to physically measure the 0.511 MeV or 0.511 MeV/c2 values. It is that info I am after. I would be grateful for any references or links that reveal the nature of that experimental equipment.
Thanks!
Nereid
Aug30-04, 11:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,014
Observations of the energy/wavelength/frequency of the gammas which result from the annihilation of electrons and positrons?
Tom Mattson
Aug30-04, 11:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
There is no experimental method to single out any system of units. It doesn't matter if you report the measured value of the mass in kilograms, slugs, or dynes/g. You can always convert to MeV/c2.
PatrickRowe
May11-11, 01:21 PM
P: 4
Hello! I'm also confused regarding these units, given the equation E=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2, i am to show the mass of a proton in the units MeV/C^2, however i have no idea how to convert into these units. Is this form of the display of mass actually a measure of the relativistic energy that the particle has?

Register to reply