Register to reply

IR stereo remote strange behaviour

by DaveC426913
Tags: behaviour, remote, stereo, strange
Share this thread:
DaveC426913
Jun25-10, 11:42 PM
P: 15,319
My stereo remote has begun exhibiting strange behaviour. If I use the Power button to turn it on (or off), it will continue to do so for as much as 30 seconds.

i.e.:
- I point the remote at the stereo and press Power, stereo turns on (the on/off cycle on my stereo takes a good 4-5 seconds)
- stereo turns off again
- stereo turns on again
- stereo turns off again
(I have not yet touched the Power button a second time)
- I bury the remote in the couch, stereo remains off
- I pull the remote out and repoint it at the stereo (I still have not yet touched the Power button a second time)
- stereo turns on again
- stereo turns off again
- etc.

This would makes sense if the IR signal that powers the stereo on/off were analogue and continuous. (If the signal came on and stayed on, it makes sense that the stereo would keep cycling).

But I thought that the signals were digital (a coded sequence of flashes). In order for the stereo to do doing what it's doing, that means the remote is busted in a way that is causing it to send the sequence over and over again.

(Hm... unless there's nothing wrong with the electronics - if the button on the remote were stuck on, that would explain it...)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
zoobyshoe
Jun26-10, 07:44 AM
P: 5,630
For the love of God why can't you just admit there's a PARANORMAL FORCE AT WORK!?!
Nick89
Jun26-10, 12:13 PM
P: 550
My tv remote used to do that. A good smashing fixed it :)

Note: I'm not saying a good smashing will fix yours, so if you break it I'm not liable :p

Evo
Jun26-10, 12:18 PM
Mentor
P: 26,523
IR stereo remote strange behaviour

Tried replacing the batteries? I've seen electronics act screwy when the battery was low. My honest opinion? Paranormal activity. They make entire paranormal reality tv shows based on much less.
Proton Soup
Jun26-10, 01:30 PM
P: 1,070
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Tried replacing the batteries? I've seen electronics act screwy when the battery was low. My honest opinion? Paranormal activity. They make entire paranormal reality tv shows based on much less.
that's the first thing i'd try, tho usually, low batteries means reduced output for me and having to press the thing several times, get the angle just right, etc.

also, sticky keys?
TubbaBlubba
Jun26-10, 03:13 PM
P: 106
After my grandmother died, my stereo behaved in a similar way, so I'm guessing yours is haunted.
Office_Shredder
Jun26-10, 04:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Damn, the matrix is on the fritz again

I'm gonna be up all night fixing this one
Evo
Jun26-10, 04:23 PM
Mentor
P: 26,523
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
Damn, the matrix is on the fritz again

I'm gonna be up all night fixing this one
rhody
Jun27-10, 07:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I say this thread belongs in skep & debunking, Evo, time to move this one ?

Rhody...
skeptic2
Jun27-10, 08:01 PM
P: 1,810
To Scepticism & Debunking then.

My 12 yo daughter is hooked on the various versions of Ghost Hunters and believes they're real. When I watch it I try to figure out how they modified the house to create the effects. She hates it when I explain the effects.
TubbaBlubba
Jun28-10, 01:16 AM
P: 106
Quote Quote by skeptic2 View Post
To Scepticism & Debunking then.

My 12 yo daughter is hooked on the various versions of Ghost Hunters and believes they're real. When I watch it I try to figure out how they modified the house to create the effects. She hates it when I explain the effects.
... Dude, my MOTHER is hooked up on those. Especially TAPS.
AJ Bentley
Jul2-10, 05:16 AM
P: 665
I find remotes usually go wrong because a conductive rubber sheet used in the construction of the keypad seems to attract moisture. It can become quite wet.

You have to pull it apart - which is often difficult without breaking it, then separate out the black (sometimes grey) rubber membrane (which will be very obviously wet) and gently clean it with a tissue. It's very fragile.
MATLABdude
Jul2-10, 05:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Quote Quote by AJ Bentley View Post
I find remotes usually go wrong because a conductive rubber sheet used in the construction of the keypad seems to attract moisture. It can become quite wet.

You have to pull it apart - which is often difficult without breaking it, then separate out the black (sometimes grey) rubber membrane (which will be very obviously wet) and gently clean it with a tissue. It's very fragile.
If it's silicone (and not rubber), it's usually silicone oil from not being properly baked out. I've washed the pads (and underlying PCB) in hot water and detergent (make sure the final rinse is in deionized or distilled water) to remove the silicone oil. Make sure that non-washable components, like speakers and/or microphones, are properly sealed, or don't wash them! Barring that, scrubbing down the pad/PCB in isopropanol (a.k.a. rubbing alcohol) works pretty well.

I bought a rubber keypad repair kit from MG Chemicals, and I probably applied a little too much of the conductive epoxy, as the phones I repaired occasionally have stuck buttons (much like your remote). What ends up happening is that the excess conductive epoxy bridges the contacts on the PCB itself. Usually, whenever this happens, I just disassemble the phone, and wipe down the offending PCB regions with isopropanol.

Oh yes, rubber keypad repair kit:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8339.html

I liked it better than the one from Chemtronics as it was cheaper, and not single-use:
http://www.chemtronics.com/products/...?r=1&m=2&id=32

EDIT: As per AJ Bentley's suggestion, treat the membrane gently, but the PCB should be a little more resilient! I generally just use my cleaning (i.e. not for my teeth) toothbrush for both.

Register to reply