Tags: blood, broken, finger, joint, vessel
Share this thread:
Math Is Hard
Jun26-10, 01:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Friday morning I was sitting at my desk when I felt this burning sensation in my left hand. Suddenly the middle joint of my index finger started swelling up and it was very painful. Then the middle joint turned purple and looked like it had been hit with a hammer.

It's been two days now and the bruising is almost gone, but I am still mystified that this could happen while I was sitting there doing nothing. I googled "broken blood vessel in finger joint" and it seems that this happens to other people without injury or any apparent cause.

Ever heard of anything like that?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
The 'Angelina Effect' was not only immediate, but also long-lasting
Experts issue plea for better research and education for advanced breast cancer
Gun deaths twice as high among African-Americans as white citizens in US
TubbaBlubba
Jun26-10, 01:35 PM
P: 106
Nope, but I'd look it up with a physician, obviously. Since you don't know what caused it, you don't know if the same thing could happen to other vessels.
Proton Soup
Jun26-10, 03:32 PM
P: 1,070
the only time that happens to me is from some kind of trauma.

Xnn
Jun26-10, 05:26 PM
P: 555
Broken blood vessel in finger joint

Could be a vitamin K deficiency or liver damage.

A good medical doctor would test for Prothrombin.
Evo
Jun26-10, 05:27 PM
Mentor
P: 26,667
Good grief MIH! That doesn't sound normal.
turbo
Jun26-10, 07:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Good grief MIH! That doesn't sound normal.
Nothing that happens to you is normal! You are not qualified to advise the Hooper in this matter.

I am not qualified either, though it still surprises me to run across a friend who has experienced a blood-vessel rupture only to see that 1/2 of the white of their eye is bright red.
Math Is Hard
Jun26-10, 10:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
I think I'm going to step up my vitamin K. I'm nibbling lettuce now.
My diet has been really poor the past month. If it happens again, I'll show the doc.
Borek
Jun27-10, 04:03 AM
Admin
P: 23,732
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemarthrosis

I know someone with hemophilia, from stories he told he knows the problem well too well.
Astronuc
Jun27-10, 08:09 AM
Admin
P: 21,915
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
My diet has been really poor the past month. If it happens again, I'll show the doc.
You should report it to your doctor anyway. Let him/her decide if you should come in for a check up. Ruptured blood vessels not caused by an impact or load could be a warning sign. If one hasn't had a blood test in many years, perhaps it is time.

May be it's time to add some spinach and chard to the diet.
Monique
Jun27-10, 03:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
MIH, that's not normal. You should really consult a doc, don't wait for it to happen again.
lisab
Jun27-10, 05:47 PM
Mentor
P: 3,010
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
MIH, that's not normal. You should really consult a doc, don't wait for it to happen again.
Right...what if it happened in a more critical place than your finger?
nismaratwork
Jun28-10, 11:20 AM
P: 2,284
Let me just chime in and say: go see a doctor, and in the meantime take a picture or two of it to show him or her. This could be nothing, or it could be anything up to a small break one of your phalanges, releasing blood or marrow into the joint space. This is not necessarily doom, but it is something to verify as to nature and cause. Do not begin a regimen intended to treat this without medical supervision, please.

To lisab: ...Or what if it occurs somewhere less critical, but forms a clot which symbolizes? Any way you look at this, you need a doctor to take a look at this, and if I were your doctor I would order a full differential CBC, vitamin panel, and maybe a few other tests for fun *kidding on the fun*. Do not take this as a sign of impending doom, but do not take it as some normal event.

Register to reply