by Dagenais
Tags: angular momentum
Share this thread:
Dagenais
Jul23-03, 09:49 PM
P: 396
Hmmm...

Some people say money, some say love.

I just want to double check. In short, what makes the world go around is basically the sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?

Or is love really the answer?

Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Ivan Seeking
Jul23-03, 10:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Originally posted by kenikov
I just want to double check. In short, what makes the world go around is basically the sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?

Or is love really the answer?

Conservation of angular momentum. When a mass is trapped in the gravitational field of another body, a set of equations from Johann Kepler tell us that cirtain stable orbits can result. When this happens, as is the case with our planet, the momentum that the planet had continues until something steels it away.

Of course, I am not aware of any proofs that show that conservation of angular momentum is not love.
Dagenais
Jul23-03, 10:24 PM
Okay, so my Sun theory was somewhat right, right?

Ivan Seeking
Jul24-03, 12:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
What makes the world go 'round

Originally posted by kenikov
Okay, so my Sun theory was somewhat right, right?
The sun only tries to pull us towards its center. We go around the sun because just as much as it pulls on us, we try to run away in a straight line. An elliptical orbit results. The earth spins on its axis because as the earth formed, the material was caught in the earth’s gravitational field; which made it orbit the earth. As this material crashed into the forming planet, the momentum of this motion is conserved as the rotation of the planet.

So, right. You were wrong on this one. That's OK though. Most of science is about being wrong many times, but then getting it right just once in a great while.
Dagenais
Jul24-03, 01:43 PM
Hrm, thanks.

Hanging around here will make me look so much more knowledgable in school.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Jul24-03, 01:55 PM
P: 1,560
IMO Truth, makes everything go!!.
HallsofIvy
Jul24-03, 07:04 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Actually, the original question was very ambiguous.

"What makes the world go round?" Is that referring to earth's rotation on it's axis or it's orbit around the world?

The later question "whether sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?" doesn't make it any clearer!
LURCH
Jul24-03, 11:19 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,510
I suppose it could be looked at as a two-part question. Momentum makes the Earth go (it was in motion when it formed, and nothing has happened to stop it), and the Sun's gravity makes that "going" round (rather than straight).

Register to reply