Register to reply

What is a radial Node ? What is an Angular Node ?

by 5416339
Tags: angular, node, radial
Share this thread:
Jul14-10, 10:36 AM
P: 18
Can anyone give me a picture of what the above terms mean..I know the mathematical meaning like

But i want to know like how and what exactly is a radial node and an angular node !

The node of an S sub shell is easy but where are the nodes in the P and d Sub shell ? And please explain what radial node and angular node mean..Thanks !
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Plug n' Play protein crystals
Intracellular imaging gets interactive
diggy
Jul14-10, 10:49 AM
P: 124
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hy...sity_Plots.png

Nodes are typically considered where the solution is stationary at 0. For radial nodes, f(R)=0 for all angles. They look circular in the picture above. For angular nodes f(someAngle)=0 for all R. They look like the slices.
alxm
Jul14-10, 11:03 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,866
You'll also find that all orbitals where n > l have radial nodes (i.e. every orbital except the first s,p,d and f orbitals), and every orbital where n > 1 (i.e. non-s orbitals) have angular nodes.

Jul15-10, 07:34 AM
What is a radial Node ? What is an Angular Node ?

I know the technical defination of nadoes but i need a pictorial defination..So that i can understand how it looks !
diggy
Jul15-10, 09:15 AM
P: 124
Quote Quote by 5416339 View Post
I know the technical defination of nadoes but i need a pictorial defination..So that i can understand how it looks !
Was the picture in the link insufficient? Its color coded in 2d instead of 3d -- so black represented the zeros (nodes), and the reds represented non-zero values.
Jul26-10, 06:56 AM
But what about angular nodes...Where are they ??
chemisttree
Jul26-10, 01:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Think of the difference between radial nodes and angular nodes as being like looking at a bullseye vs. a 4-leaf clover. The nodes are the spaces between the circles in the case of the bullseye (radial node) and the spaces between the leaves in the case of the 4-leaf clover (angular node).

Register to reply